· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: The Congo tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    What a beauty, my sis it looking to get a tank going with them, she is OK with just them as she knows they are predators. What size tank are they in?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    What a beauty, my sis it looking to get a tank going with them, she is OK with just them as she knows they are predators. What size tank are they in?
    55g, is large enough for them in a pair or trio. And dithers are totally fine she just needs to pick something with a taller body like the Congos or Columbians I have. Anything torpedo shaped is lunch or a mangled attempt at lunch.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I have the Ctenopoma Acutirostre. And the answer is yes and no lol they do not really go after fish they're quite shy and when tu Kribs have a go at them they just "Imma leaf you can't see me" lol they don't really go after anyone and get along quite well, a bit on they shy side more than anything... But... I have made a couple mistakes on tank mate sizing....
    One emergency tank leak I tossed my zebra Danios in and within a couple hours noticed that they weren't swimming all about like normal and went to check to find out the ctenopomas were trying to eat them and one ctenopoma had a danio stuck half in half out of this mouth they took down several danios that day before I realized what was going on... I thought danios would be too big, they were in fact too big, but the ctenopomas mutilated several attempting anyway. So basically learned torpedo shaped fish are a no go entirely... If it fits in their mouth they will try to eat it.

Even half big platy/sword tails are broad enough to deter their attempts for now... I should measure one of the ctenopoma as I've no idea on size anymore... Probably upwards of 3", maybe 4" maybe a bit more I feel my concept of size in this tank is getting skewed lol.

Otherwise they mostly hung together like mirror images of each other in perfect unison around the tank. One is a bit pushy to the other and they've occasionally gotten cross with one another but they've never been the least bit aggressive, as I consider the word, with other fish... Just a bit of instinct on eat it if it fits, and they happen to have a a mouth quite a bit larger than you'd think. :) http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...904e674135.jpg
    WOW wow wow!!! That's an incredible pic! Thanks for all the helpful info as well, I have always been interested in keeping them ever since my LFS had them in. I still plan to one day
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    No problem :) Sorry to hear the ctenopomas are having marital issues tho. I had to add a divider last night to separate my once favorite breeding pair of angelfish. He beat her up badly and was still being aggressive. Hopefully the change of scenery will help.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with crypts in the foreground. I have wentii in my African style 90g as well. Have you tried root tabs for them? Also, have you tried dwarf sag? Is not from Africa, but there aren't many aquarium ground cover plants from Africa that I know of. These plants propagate via underground runners and stay pretty rooted and they grow closer to eachother. Not like other covers that are mostly above ground and get ripped up or stems that need to stay planted.
    I tried three times to respond to this yesterday and it erred and dumped the post each time lol

I'm very sorry to hear about your angels I was hoping it was a one off when I read of it in your thread

I have tried all variety of things in this tank and CANNOT get diatoms to quit. Well over a year and I have decided it had GOT to be my substrate (Flourite Original & Tahitian Moon Sand). I have to run full lighting bordering towards but not quite high lighting and nearly full EI dosing to keep the plants growing fast enough to out compete the issues... Fish are shy mostly and not fan of the high light but when I reduce lighting the plants can't make a go at all and start withering and then promptly I get algae (take your pick I've fought off several). I've tried several fert regimens, light schedules, intensity and all but the high light full EI gives me issues. Even then the plants aren't filling in, my high pH leaves low co2 in the water and that's absolutely my limiting factor. I considered and almost took the tank high tech to get the growth but it's not what I want to do for this project so I'm gutting substrate and starting over lol.

I've never had such a hassle to balance a tank and never had diatoms that were so incessant. I have silicates in the water but all my other tanks which have a variety of lighting and stocking I've balanced within 3-4 months. Only thing different is the substrate. Neither of them specifically had I tried before though both are from brands I'm quite familiar and usually happy with. Substrate can feed garden plants next year lol

I can't quite explain or find examples online of what I am invisioning for the tank. But I'm hoping to do some mosses and anubias on driftwood coming down into the tank. Probably some other rhizomes also but I'm not entirely set on others yet. Then vals allowed to do their thing, some floaters and some crypts strategically. D. Sag could be an amazing thing to add to take the place of the fullness I'd wanted from the Sword without the now unnecessary height. It's a wonderful idea and although I've never grown it before it would be absolutely worth a shot! I love the idea and in my head I've got a perfect way to use it, it'd be awesome.

So here's several pics that kinda sorta touch on different parts of what I'm thinking but it's kind of a pick a bit here and bit there that fits my vision. I don't want it dark, and plan a more openish space centralish to the tank, bottom plants that provide cover and line of sight breaches along with a bit of camouflage for a couple caves and some movement and then some mosses and distinctive leaf rhizomes for tying my branches to appear more like a river bank. Not an overhanging river bank a slow flow area such as in a summer eddie type river bank. Anyway I'm horrible at describing (or putting together lol) my thoughts on things like this so here's the photos just mash them together like I said above and maybe it'll make sense lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the well wishes regarding my beaten angel. She is hanging in there, she looks sad to be separated from her lover, they've been together their whole mature life, but it's better to give her a chance to heal alone and maybe just take a break from being expected to produce eggs. I'm planning on moving them both to my 90g with a group of angelfish so she's can rest. I rested one of my gold pearlscales and she started breeding with a new partner when she was ready.

I like the 2nd and 3rd pics. I have an idea of what you envision. I think dwarf sag would work well. I'm about to experiment with micro sword varieties, so I have yet to see how they do. I have the needleleaf variety, but the broadleaf looks amazing too.

Crypts and vals just look good together IMO. Here's an easy scape that I saved for a while as inspiration for myself and others
    fiskabura.jpg

Sorry about the diatoms. I seem to get them as well, even in my tanks that have been going for 8 years. I don't think it's my substate though because I get it all of my tanks. I have to remove it manually, or my BN plecos eat it all.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-09-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    55g, is large enough for them in a pair or trio. And dithers are totally fine she just needs to pick something with a taller body like the Congos or Columbians I have. Anything torpedo shaped is lunch or a mangled attempt at lunch.

Good to know she was going to set them up in a 75. I will let her know you have them with Colombians and there isn't an issue. I would love if she got congos with them. She just may keep them by them selves. one never knows with Kathy.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Good to know she was going to set them up in a 75. I will let her know you have them with Colombians and there isn't an issue. I would love if she got congos with them. She just may keep them by them selves. one never knows with Kathy.
    Haha! Bigger is ALWAYS better! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It's good to know that so many people on this forum have had issues with the Tahitian Moon Sand. I think I'll be staying away from that in my tank(s)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    It's good to know that so many people on this forum have had issues with the Tahitian Moon Sand. I think I'll be staying away from that in my tank(s)
    When I used the dry version of Tahitian Moon in one of my smaller tanks, I had no issues with diatoms. When I used the Instant Aquarium wet version in a 20g, I got diatoms for the first time in any of my tanks (others are Eco Complete). It took a few months and I hated my tank, but mine were gone in about 3-4 months. Sorry to see these diatoms are sticking around in others' tanks for much longer. I really like the Caribsea line of substrates. Wonder if there's been any changes in their makeup of these sands.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @SueD I used dry Tahitian Moon sand, and I don't know for certain that it's that, or the original flourite, or maybe this tank flat hates me. I'll try to talk myself into taking a pic tonight, it's still very bad and what it is now isn't the best it's ever been but about average. Sometimes I think I'm getting ahead of them and they're finally going to wane away, but it's not the case. Not in this tank tank. Something is causing it, and there's very few things in this tank that aren't in other tanks and although I had them in most (maybe all) the tanks when I set them up they were gone in 2-3 months mostly. 55 has been just mess the whole time.

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast