· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: The Congo tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm very glad to hear that they do well together! I was a bit worried. I know the Congos have been chewing the endlers fins in grow out but they're not terribly aggressive, just don't like their space invaded and the endler-guppies are ding bats that don't have any sense of space lol. This Columbian was eating her CPDs for being in his space which is why he's here for a while... You're starting to make me think maaaaaybe I should just keep him anyway, after all I do think he's quite happy and visually he's a great fit for the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Ida aka b***h Krib is hiding out in her new cave, she definitely has finally staked a claim on one of the new caves and stopped trying to boss the tank, or at least given everyone a reprieve. So we dropped about 18 cherry culls in the 55 while everyone is out playing.

Photo of my ctenopomas, I've never seen two fish so attached to one another, they rarely leave each other's side anymore. Photo is actually both of them, almost looks like a reflection but it's the two of them playing in bubbles after a nice day shrimp hunting in fresh clean water with Ida not demanding them back to where ever she decides they should be.

Then the little girl Krib whom we've named Red, her belly gets super pink all the way to her bottom lip rather than a yellow at the chin the red goes straight through. She always drops all her color when she comes to investigate me and my phone but one of these days I'll catch a photo it's quite pretty.

And the new little boy. He's found his place and I imagine his fins should get a chance to recover. He also claimed one of the new caves.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Nice, I love kribs. They awesome when in full colour

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    My male krib when I had him had quite a bit of red as well. More so than other kribs I've seen, there are multiple color strains of kribs. Your kribs are beautiful! Red looks like she has quite the pointed dorsal fin, but it could be the way she's holding it in the pic. I love your ctenopomas as well, awesome snap of them, I like how they stick together, I will certainly be getting some of these as well.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hahaha yes Red has had me convinced that it was a boy then a girl then a boy then a girl.... I'm very undecided still honestly but lately I'm leaning back to Red being a girl again.... When she colors up though it colors up more like a male but it's built more like a female with a wider body rather than being more thin. Time will tell and the name Red will work whichever she turns out to be lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sitting up close to the glass to take the pics?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
    Are you sitting up close to the glass to take the pics?
    I take my pics about 12-18 inches from the glass and then focus on them otherwise my phone doesn't focus for beans.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I take my pics about 12-18 inches from the glass and then focus on them otherwise my phone doesn't focus for beans.
    Ok, thats about a decent distance yes. I noticed if up close then the fish get"camera shy" so to say. Maybe try making a video clip or even holding the camera on one side of the tank while you positioned away from it. To distract the fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
    holding the camera on one side of the tank while you positioned away from it. To distract the fish
    Haha funny you say that, I actually do have to do that when trying to photo my CPDs or the Congo Tetras... Never thought of doing it for the Kribs to catch them with color on, doh! I did catch Ms Ida while she was out a moment today though, she's nicely colored about anytime she's out of her hovel, likely because she's threatening to bring the apocalypse to anyone who dares come near her lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So are those two pics of Ida? It's weird, I grew out 120 baby kribs and I'm having trouble sexing your kribs lol. I think I forget my sure shot way of sexing kribs or something. They are all different with all the strains, but generally the male's dorsal, anal and caudal fin is pointed while the female's fins are shorter and rounded. Both those kribs look like males to me. Your kribs are very very pretty though regardless what they are, the second pic really captures the colors well. So pretty, really makes me want kribs again right now! Hahaha.

(Btw I find lowering the aperture https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...1z1e9d95WTF://
    ....really helps to bring out true colors. Idk which phone you have (think it's Samsung) but my Samsung tends to wash out the colors, it brightens too high on auto. You'll see what I mean. The light from LEDs refract off of plant leaves and reflective fish and creates a big glare. I also have learned you can play with angles (higher on your screen/or lower, pointing downward, upward, or on a slight angle. Hope that helps you if you didn't already know. )

Anyway, I bought my pair from the LFS already paired off. I saw them pairing in the small tank under a tiny decoration with about 7 other mature kribs and had to save them. I bought them each for $4.99. I put them in my 33g tank with a nice cave in the middle (which they turned into multiple caves by creating new openings). The male was grey and not colourful for about a week, but when they started breeding he was just as beautiful as the female. My females all had yellow/green on their gills and yellow on their fins and a large purple/red belly, while the males were red from gills all the way their underside and no yellow. Also the males all developed a beautiful red edge on their long pointed dorsal caudal and anal fins while the females did not. Again, it could have been a different color morph male.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-07-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast