· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: The Congo tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    So quick update. My big male Congo kicked off completely unexpectedly a week or so ago. I fed in the morning when I came home and when I woke up that afternoon he was stuck to the filter intake with no eyes nor fins remaining :( Danios, Endlers and shrimp had a snack while I was asleep. No symptoms and completely unexpected. Everyone else seems fine even now though so bum deal I guess but could have been worse.

I also scored a male kribensis at the fish place last week, ask if they had any and they were one day from completing a 30 day qt so I picked him straight from the qt tank in the back. He's smaller than the ladies in the tank so they have been picking on him but he's way more outgoing than they are and likes to greet me when I'm near the tank, he doesn't really seem to bothered by the ladies bullying him.

Now I'll have a jerk face Columbian tetra added tonight. He's been terrorizing my sisters tank and picked off a couple CPDs this week so she tried him in an 8 gallon tank and he's going nuts. He's going to come here and be solo in my tank for a while. She's planning to try him again in a few weeks but I have a feeling he may end up here permanently, if that's the case I'll get him a couple buddies I suppose.

Otherwise, removing those stones has absolutely made an impact on the diatoms in the tank, they are manageable again. Things are finally coming around and the fancy nerites should be moving in another three weeks. They still refuse to touch any extra food but also seem happy enough off what they get in biofilm and diatoms so I'm not to worried.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no, sorry to hear about the largest male..I hate unexplained deaths...what's the m/f ratio remaining with the congos?

I hope the ladies don't harass the junior male krib too much, how many in his "harem" will he have?

Hope the Colombian chills out, and good news with the diatoms, seems you found a semi-cure for now by ditching those rocks
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Congo ratio now is 1m/1f... And I just don't know if the female is going to ever grow larger she's SOOOooo much smaller I may just order 5-6 females and then 6-10 males so I can get the boys over and she won't be alone in grow out. I am sure I could work something like that out with TWS.

As for the Kribs I am going to add at least one more female maybe two but I'm going to wait until I do an order online and throw them in then. I'd really like to be sure to get from different sources than the male. When everyone grows up I'll be able to pick out the lovelies and rehome the misfits. I'd ultimately like to have a happy harem but currently the full grown lady is a real witch, I'm hoping as everyone grows up she'll even out a bit but we shall see. At least feeding time she's not rude she allows everyone to feed but the rest of the time she's pretty territorial. Removing the rocks reduced her turf to one area of the tank rather than the entire tank which has helped quite a lot too. I also have a few different ceramic items coming and am going to add a couple terracotta pots also so there is a variety of caves to choose from. I'm hoping she will find something that suits her fancy and then just claim that rather than cave surfing since she really doesn't seem to like my current offerings. Maybe I just had a couple agreeable Kribs before and this time I'm getting to see true colors of jerk on her. I've only had Kribs once before and it was a pair that never fought but never bred either in 2.5-3 years I had them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry about your male congo tetra, one of those things.

Good news on the rest though :) Nice score on the junior male krib, I'm glad things are working out. I only had a pair of kribs as well, and a bunch of babies lol. The pair were rougher than cichlids I was used to, the female ripped the male's lip off at one point (it healed no problem in a couple weeks no worries). But I read about aggressive females, your big female doesn't sound too bad. Hope the new caves help as well.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The Columbian Tetra is doing well. Picked on the ctenopomas and realized his mistake and the jerk lady kribensis (now named Ida after a friend's witchy mare horse) has found her match with the Tetra. She has snuck up on it a couple times but now the tetra is keen on her tactics and she can't catch it lol so far it is somewhat humorous as tetra does what he wants and Ida can't catch him lol.

That Tetra is actually quite a pretty thing in the tank too. If he ends up staying, adding a couple more may actually be appealing to look at lol. I don't think I'd mind them around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That's humorous interesting about the congo tetra. What size is this tank now? I had a school of congo tetras in my 90g, I want them back so badly. Once things calm down here (parasite), I'll be getting them again for that tank. They are amazing to watch as a school, they shoal so closely, they are so fast, and their iridescent colours and fins are like nothing I've kept before. They are almost the showcase fish of the tank. They use a lot of swimming space, but in a large enough tank they are spectacular imo.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    They have been in a 20g grow out. I'd only found the three locally and although the two boys were sized to not be ctenopoma tempting the female is significantly smaller so I'd been on the fence about keeping them together in the 20 or moving the boys to the 55. I kind of think that the death was one of two things, maybe he zipped into the side kind of deal as they boys definitely would appreciate more space, and there was absolutely zero indication anything was wrong. But who knows. But also maybe he had a genetic defect that ticked over, I know albino anything is more prone to genetic issues I would assume it's the same for fish. I'm not worried since it's been a couple weeks and no one else passed and no one seems ill so it was just one of those bum deals.

I'll definitely be getting some more Congos regardless and I'll be happy whether they are standard or albino. The Columbian tetras though, I wonder if they end up a fixed feature, if they are going to need a decent school like barbs in order to not be an issue since this one is pretty nippy. But hopefully if he/she stays I can keep the nipping to a school of 4-6 of them and not need 8-10. I'll probably try adding 3 and seeing how they do and only adding by 2s if they need it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm interested to see how it goes. I had 10 congo tetras and 11 Columbians. The two schools were perfect together despite them being native to different continents. They would each eat their eggs when spawning in the early morning, still somehow 3 Columbian made it to adulthood.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I'm interested to see how it goes. I had 10 congo tetras and 11 Columbians. The two schools were perfect together despite them being native to different continents. They would each eat their eggs when spawning in the early morning, still somehow 3 Columbian made it to adulthood.
    Hahaha I don't expect any little babies to survive this tank. But I've been surprised over and over again in this hobby so who knows. To be honest I wasn't a fan of the Columbians in my sisters tank, actually never really been a tetra person, but shortly after Mr nippy face was in the 55 I realized he really actually suits. It wouldn't be a bad look in the tank. I've veered off my plan and adjusted what I'm doing with this tank so many times I'm not against adding a different continent but I'm still going to call it my African tank. It'll just be African with a little Columbian gangster twist they look like little red tip tin foil barbs which I've always thought were pretty fish just too large for anything I've ever done. Plus I'd been considering adding some green tiger barbs just for color, I think the Columbians if he stays can add that little flair at least as well too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I want to add Columbians to my African tank as well. The two schools of columbian and congo went well together. The Columbians are more deep than long, but they grew to be comparable in size. The columbians were all a nice shimmery silver blue with striking red fins. When they were "rolling in balls" after the congo tetra eggs, all the fish together, it was crazy to see.

I have this pic from my 90g when I had them.
    unspecified-1.jpeg

Another thing I love about the congo is you can see their teeth. I know I have a shot of that somewhere, I'll go try to find it. They are not anymore aggressive though, just more clumsy with plants due to their size and speed and close shoalling tendencies.

My vote being any enabler (also because they are my plans too!) is to get a nice school of Congo tetras and columbian tetras if you have the space. The two species of tetras go well together IMO.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-02-2018 at 03:29 AM.
    -Kat

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast