· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The Congo tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So Kribs are at 4 weeks, zero issues. I am thinking it's time to add my three Congos to the tank in the next couple of weeks but I'm not confident in the size of the female. Considering they are the only tetras I've got what do you guys think? Feisty little boogers and I'm not certain I want to have just two males cruising the tank if something happens to the female or if I leave her in grow out. Plus she'd be the only tetra in grow out if I did that. The three of them keep close tabs on one another.

Should I move them all and risk it with the size of the female vs the ctenopomas? Or should I split them up? Maybe hold off until I've located some more or stumbled into some locally again and add the school together when everyone is sized appropriately?

I'd love to have them in the 55 but obviously don't feel like killing anything off because of an error in my own judgment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would be fine to add all 3 at once.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    So the female can be easily eaten by the ctenopoma?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know the size of either fish.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    So the female can be easily eaten by the ctenopoma?
    She wouldn't actually be able to be eaten, but the ctenopoma have already proven to me that they will mutilate things trying. She is just larger than my full grown zebra danios and slightly taller bodied but being albino she's almost transparent outside her head and organs.
    I can tell they cannot actually eat her but I don't know that they wouldn't kill her trying.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know next to nothing about Ctenopoma acutirostre, if that's what you have, so probably should have not commented on adding the Congos...for that, I apologize

Too lazy to go back and look, how many ctenopoma are in the tank presently?...and what other fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes ctenopoma acutirostre. And there's two that are better 2.5-3". The only other fish are the two Kribensis. One juvenile and one adult both females. The male Congos aren't concerning in size but that little female Congo is just taking her time growing up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    If it were me, I'd keep the congos together, so I'd add them all in at the same time like Matt suggested. If you feel the ctenopomas would still consider the female congo as prey, then I'd trust your feelings. I would wait until you have more Congos, then move 'em all in when they are grown enough. That's what I do for small tetras, I grow them out in a QT tank so my angels didn't eat them.

(Not that I've got new fish in years)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

1 Not allowed!
    Don't take any unnecessary risks, 1st instinct is usually right

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunqn81 View Post
    Don't take any unnecessary risks, 1st instinct is usually right
    That's a good point. In life in general if I'm doubting of something and do it anyway it generally blows up in my face... Gut instinct. Congos stay a while longer in grow out lol

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast