· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The Congo tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    If it is a parachromis you are after...check out a single Freddy. They tap out at 10-11"....and are beautiful
    Never realized until I Google just "parachromis" just now how many of those fish have caught my eye over the years lol. The aggression has always made them just an admiration lol I've never dealt with dovii type aggression, I wouldn't even know what to do with it lol I'd be scared to clean the tank! Didn't realize they were all I that level of aggressive behavior lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Comes down to individual fish really...Ive known some folks whose Jag/Dovii/etc was actually pretty chill. It is manageable, just use tools and keep a hardscape only tank to simplify. Of all of my fish...Black Phillip is not the most aggressive fish, that title goes to my Midas; Parachromis are far more intelligent than really any other fish genus I have kept yet.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Comes down to individual fish really...Ive known some folks whose Jag/Dovii/etc was actually pretty chill. It is manageable, just use tools and keep a hardscape only tank to simplify. Of all of my fish...Black Phillip is not the most aggressive fish, that title goes to my Midas; Parachromis are far more intelligent than really any other fish genus I have kept yet.

Aggressive to you or aggressive to other fish? What other fish has your midas destroyed compared to black phillip?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    To me/the keeper...the Midas would instantly maul something where the Jag would intelligently stalk the other fish and wait. To me aggression is blind rage in a fish or belligerent behavior more than calculated hunting. But there lies the difference in a piscivore..to the Jag fish are just food where the midas just wants to beat the tar out of them. I've also never kept the midas with anything as I really don't believe these large CAs should be kept with other fish unless there is a specific need or the person has a huge tank. They are best kept alone as a show specimen.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    So the jag tried to eat your previous oscar rather than it being territorial aggression?

I have had cichlids do a stalking behavior/calculated hunting just to beat the tar out of other cichlids at the last minute, and who in no way they wanted to eat.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 02-22-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, he ate the majority of it...not to say they are not territorial or aggressive...obviously any of these big fish are. However typical territorial aggression would be a fish defending specific areas of the tank or the whole tank in general....not living peacefully with another fish without any chasing/display of dominance/etc until one day you find the other robust healthy fish half eaten and missing eyes. What I am saying is that of these two specific fish...my Midas is more aggressive than the Jag. Now the Jag could easily kill her, and probably try to eat her of course. I can at least stick my hand in with the Jag...I cant with the Midas. I also find that there is perhaps a more complex thought process to the Jag than the Midas...he isn't aggressive without purpose....where she is just a special case of angry.
    Last edited by MCHRKiller; 02-22-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Added to the crypt patch. I'm considering splitting up the reds and greens so the reds will be to the left against the on end rock to more define a line if sight break and then the greens all to the right side. When I added the new ones I didn't split them up as I have a feeling now that the new ones may see a bit of color change as several of them were very over shadowed in the neo cull tank. Going to give everything a couple weeks to settle and see what I can tell when everything is turned the right direction again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Alright so I ended up down a rabbit hole tonight while at work, and couple be well off base Buuuut..... I think my stone in my 55 in at the very least contributing to my diatoms. I know it's contributing to my TDS (I knew this already just not how significantly). So it's going to go... I won't pay for someone to ship me rocks especially when I can't see and touch and turn them first and I don't have enough patience to shop online for that right group of pieces. I may leave a small piece or two in the tank but overall it's moving out as soon as my one piece of driftwood stays down, maybe it can just float around too... I'll be checking as soon as I get home... So.
    I'm an all natural design kind of person but not made of money and just can't conceive of shipping rocks. Sooo I'll be digging out some not so great caves or logs or whatever I can scrounge and miss brat Krib will hopefully accept the new accommodations. I'm sure I'll find something to make everyone happy down the road scape wise, but in the mean time better water quality and less diatoms will have to be our compromise. :) may be it help the diatoms situation enough to let the plants go free lol.
    Diatoms made a ferocious comeback this past few days, right as I thought I finally got lucky with the smaller water changes. Still not like they used to be but if I can get them further under control like they were those couple weeks prior I would be a happy aquarist for sure! I really really enjoyed my break from the onslaught lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Any rivers, streams, lakes near you?...IMO, the best rocks are the found (and free) ones
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast