· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good job rehoming the pleco! - Slaphppy7   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

Question Infestation of pond snails

0 Not allowed!
    I have an positivly identified pond snails in my second aquarium. I got them from plants gotten from major chain store, ive been culling then evry other day, whiping of snail slime (eggs) from lid, have taken out all plants and decorations.

Tank is 20g breeder tank with 6/7 immature swordtails, under 10 glass shrimp, and 3panda corys. Just not sure on swords lol might be more, filter is 30 gallon waterfall with no carbon, ceramic bio media and three diffrent floss filters. Fully cycled was running year and a half before waning to swictch to real plants. Oh and heater.

They have taken over tank, to the point of me finding them on outside of the tank. If ive negleted to cull them. Really do not want loaches in this tank as i put my fry from main tank in this tank to mature/ grow before trading to small lps. Not meaning to breed but happens with healthy tanks and swords, owner od lps loves the color veration iv got, usually gold/orange with black tail, not as orange are red velvets, but darker orange than pinapples.

Ive though after rehousing fish in talnk just starting fresh in tank, but cant aford all new equipment. Was thnking adding aquarium salt and running for a while ( or bleac/vinger) to kill off any snail eggs sacks. They are in bio material, i will buy difrent sub strate.

Thoughly scrubbing down cleaning and restarting and using it again as a fry tank..

Would doing this acually kill off the snail eggs? Or should i just buy new tank and equipment???
    39 g 3 swordtails 2 Cories Many baby swordtails in diffrent stages of age..

39g swordtail journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just add a few assassin snails. These need both male/female to breed and they breed so much more slowly that they are not pests like the pond snails. They should eliminate the pond snails over a few months.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Not with shrimp....get assassin snails.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Not with shrimp....get assassin snails.
    Ah I thought the OP removed everything from the tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    May have misread, but I though he has ghost shrimp in there.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good job rehoming the pleco! - Slaphppy7   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes at moment still have all fish in tank ive not rehommed any yet, im just worred about adding glass shrimp with amano shrimp in with glass shrimp, iv not found anything on if they coexist in same tank..
    39 g 3 swordtails 2 Cories Many baby swordtails in diffrent stages of age..

39g swordtail journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had both in my 75 and the amanos outcompeted the glass/ghost shrimp. Keep in mind glass/ghost shrimp are usually sold as feeders so aren't very well cared for in the first place so you have a higher turnover with them irregardless. If you want to try them out I would get a group of glass/ghosts +6/8 and let them run in the tank for a month or two before adding the amanos
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore