· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Assassin snails breeding

1 Not allowed!
    So the other day I found a welcome surprise in a tank. Snail eggs! Assassin snail eggs! The three I have are obviously a good combination and happy and healthy. I rarely see them but when I do those proud little killers are streaming across the tank like a cruise missile after a pesky little bladder snail.
    I'm actually pretty happy to see them breeding, only snail eggs I have ever been excited to see! So I've done some reading the past couple days and I think I might let them have a go. I enjoy them, maybe because I don't constantly see them slobbing up my glass or sitting in the middle of a plant. I plan to leave the eggs exactly where they are (they're apt to be eaten in any of my other tanks).
    Question to anyone who might have experience though. Currently they are in a 5 gallon, very low lighting and several different substrate areas in the scape, they have a bunch of Anubias and dwarf Lilly and a couple types of driftwood that suited my "River" scape. During their remodel I offered a couple different sand sizes out of curiosity what they would prefer. Are they good to stay in that 5 gallon and still breed or should I make plans to at some point upgrade them to a 10 gallon? Which in complete honesty won't happen immediately so I will probably refrain until at the very soonest I see some of the babies cruising around (at least 6 months down the road per research so far).
    That tank seems to for some reason stay about 76°, I have hard water but plan to drop a bit of cuttlefish bone in there when they hatch just to be sure. Ph runs fairly stable at 8.0 in that tank. It's got the largest sponge filter on could fit in there and I have plenty of room to turn up the flow on it if necessary.
    In the few months that I've had these guys I've already been told a plethora of inaccurate information and therefore have just basically let them do their thing and act as if they aren't there when it comes to tank maintenance (except when I was sure I lost one in the remodel, I spent a few days carefully sifting substrates until I found him... On the back of driftwood munching a snail). I also have a pretty decent size backup population of bladders that I started in fear that the assassins would starve if they ran out. Yup I know now they'll scavenge but I couldn't just dump out the bladders just yet. I actually dropped them a small chunk of cucumber the day I decided to keep assassin eggs just to give them a little boost lol.

I'm really hoping to hear from someone whose actually been successful in hatching a crop of these guys... No idea what I'll do with them yet, maybe some freebies to people in need of snail control or some new blood to someone who does breed lol.

There's a total of 14 eggs I see, most of them in this terrible photo I attached. They laid them on a piece of mopani in the back corner of the aquarium within the past week maybe 10 days. I have been recovering from a vacation so I probably missed them a couple days before noticing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    They'll be fine in the 5G....I have a nice colony going in my 5.5G tank.

No fish eat assassin snail eggs, that I know of.

Once the bladders are gone, they'll scavenge as you say, and they'll eat any fish food you have, as well as veggies.

They don't care what substrate you use.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    They'll be fine in the 5G....I have a nice colony going in my 5.5G tank.

No fish eat assassin snail eggs, that I know of.

Once the bladders are gone, they'll scavenge as you say, and they'll eat any fish food you have, as well as veggies.

They don't care what substrate you use.
    Honestly Slap I think you might be the one voice I've listened to regarding these snails lol and I think your actually the one whom finally tipped my opinion into even getting the first one! Lol I didn’t know you had a group growing too!

So thanks! And I'm sure thanks again in advance as I will likely have more questions as I go along with with this little detour.

Happy to know they will stay happily in the 5 gallon! But mine definitely seem to prefer the finer sand, I've not once seen them bury themselves in the more coarse stuff I placed. But they post up in corners of the small stones and driftwood waiting for passing meals also so they are more versatile than I'd initially thought.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, they DO like to burrow when they rest, so sand is probably best for them, but not necessary for them to live and breed well

I have alot of them in my 40B as well...nice thing about them is that though they breed readily, they do somewhat slowly, so they don't overrun a tank in a few days like those pest snails will...nice looking little snails, too...and you can sell them if you find someone who needs them for a pest snail situation

A decent LFS may even buy some, if they even know what they are, lol

The ONLY bad thing about assassins that I can think of is that they will eat fish eggs...devour them, actually...so for egg-laying fish, there's very little hope for fry in a tank with assassins

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well... At my house they are welcome to eat any fish eggs they find in any tank I have... The platy are the only ones we need to see babies with and even then...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately they won't eat platy fry, they swim too quick to catch, LOL

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

4 Not allowed!
    You will come to appreciate having your own source of assassin snails. Many members here have some and are then able to spread them around tanks they keep. Slap is right, they breed steadily -- yet slowly enough -- without any particular requirements from you.
    I have found the LFSs eager to take any for a bit of store credit.

I'm curious as to what sorts of misinformation you were told about these neat snails.

We really enjoy the look of them -- the kids named the first one 'Bumble'. Congrats on your breeding trio!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I'm curious as to what sorts of misinformation you were told about these neat snails.

We really enjoy the look of them -- the kids named the first one 'Bumble'. Congrats on your breeding trio!
    I've been "corrected" that they do not breed, lay eggs or on the rare occasion an egg is laid it will not hatch without brackish conditions. And separately that their lifespan is shortened without brackish conditions.

I've been told that they do not eat pond or bladder snails and are a terrible control for the pests.

I've been told they are extremely sensitive to water conditions.

I've been told they are short lived and not worth the hype.

All of that on two other forums neither of which I returned to. When I'd mentioned my success with them as Pest snail control.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    LOL...all of the above is a virtual "fountain" of misinformation

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    LOL...all of the above is a virtual "fountain" of misinformation
    Yes yes it is, and I am not one to argue over the Internet lol but I've now found my reliable sources and just stick with them lol