· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question I'm confused about hardness & acidity (KH/GH/pH relationship)

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I don't actually have a tank setup yet. Before I start something I like to read, watch, and learn everything I can about it. So, I'm confused about how important KH and GH is to fish? I'm going to do a Tropical freshwater tank just FYI. I know KH has a relationship with pH, I know that much. Articles and tutorials make it sound very important, but then I watch YouTube videos of fish stores, self-proclaimed experts, etc, and it seems like it isn't a big issue to them.

TL;DR, can I put a 6-8 KH fish in the same water as a 12-25 KH fish? Or is it a strict range with no wiggle room?

Thank you, I do appreciate it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Now a days since 99% of most fish are captive bred in water parameters far different then there native waters so hardness and pH is not a big factor now a days. Granted you have some exceptions to this some fish are just sensitive such as neons or rummynose tetra another factor is some fish show more coloration in there origin
    specific water parameter range such as rainbow fish for example.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

4 Not allowed!
    The important thing to consider is total dissolved solid (TDS) level. This affects how the fish processes minerals in their body with regards to the water around them also known as osmotic regulation. General hardness (GH) affects the TDS level more than KH, where a higher GH will mean a higher TDS level.

Softer water fish can survive in harder water, but they put more stress on their organs and expend more energy in releasing minerals from their body. Hard water fish will waste away in weeks to months in softer water because they lose minerals from their body faster to the softer water around them.

PH also has an affect on fish in that it can determine what pathogenic bacteria can survive in the water. For instance, altum angels come from an area where ph in 4-5, which means the water is practically like an anti-septic and will kill bacteria. You can move altums to higher PH water, but now you've introduce them to pathogenic bacteria, which will explain the difficulty in keeping them alive. One day they are alive, and then the next day the pathogenic bacteria has killed them, leaving the keeper wondering what happened.

The best success as a beginner is to keep fish that will thrive (not just survive) in your tap water conditions.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-16-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

2 Not allowed!
    Here is an artical i came across today after looking at your post. The hardest part for me is rapping my head around the chemistry aspect of this hobby.
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumKH.html
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    The thing to remember about KH is that buffering capacity determines how far PH will swing from acid to basic and vice versa. Fish can handle PH swings, and planted tanks with CO2 injection experience the most since CO2 will lower the PH.

Strive for at least a KH of 4 degrees.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree. I keep domestic angels. I was once obsessed with having an acidic pH. I had troubles with swinging pH, one of my tanks completely crashed, then I learned the nitrogen cycle essentially halts with a pH under 6. I now keep my domestic angels in a pH of 7.4-7.6 and they breed no problem. It's definetely best to keep your kh at at least 4, to ensure your pH doesn't plummet below 6. My water is still soft, with a gh of 2 and TDS under our just over 100.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat