· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    That is not a problem in Lake Nicaragua. There is more water hyacinth than anything can ever eat. eat one and the other get space to grow. They even grow on land. Their burrowing into the shore lines (and potentially eat fish eggs) are likely the two important problems here.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    William do you live there or just visit? I'm really glad you brought this up. I have a sister in-law who is going to language school with her husband in Costa Rica for some time and then moving to Nicaragua for 2-4 years. We plant to visit them as a family to keep travel and hotel costs down. I jokingly told my wife that I should go looking for some wild caught fish. Are there any other fish besides plecos in Lake Nicaragua? I've seen some different types of cichlids but are there livebearers or killifish there? Very interesting topic

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

1 Not allowed!
    I live here full time. I have lived here for a number of years.

Your sister in law seem to have a good plan. It would however be a lot cheaper to do the language school in Nicaragua as well. CR is very expensive. More expensive then the US in my experience. Some things are cheap but most are expensive. A lot of the groceries are expensive.

There are a lot of rivers and lake in Nicaragua. Many of them would be easy for you to access. All of them contains tetras and liveberars. I honestly do not know about killifish. I assume your could find some. Live bearers are every where. Most of them are green, silver or blue. Most tetra species that i encountered is a little larger. 2-3 inch. There are a number of unexplored rivers.

The most common tetras are astynax species. But i have a softspot for Roeboides bouchellei ( Crystla tetra), Brycon guatemalensis and Roeboides giatemalensis. ( The second two pics are of fish collected by Jeffs Rapps in Nicaragua. )
    crystla tetra.jpg

brycon.jpg

roeb.jpg
    Last edited by William; 05-15-2017 at 05:18 AM.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    That is so cool. Thank you for the information!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on getting the Cobalt heaters. - Silbar   "Sea" turtle is all we have in the gift shop. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I was actually thinking about grabbing a pleco today. Will let keep you all posted :D.