· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

Default Interesting (about invasive Plecos in Nicaragua)

1 Not allowed!
    I was looking for plecos, Hypostomus plecostomus, for years before i was able to buy any here in Nicaragua. The are still very rare and rather expensive (USD 20-30, more than a days wage for 90% of the population).

Now i find this information:
    "El Instituto Nicaragüense de la Pesca y Acuicultura (INPESCA ) reportó que en el año 2003 se dieron los primero avistamientos de este pez en las costas orientales del Gran Lago, identificándolo como: Hypostomus plecostomus. A la fecha se dice que es muy abundante en las costas de la isla de Ometepe y se le adjudican muchos males, incluso que perjudica el turismo local, a la economía de la pesca artesanal, de dañar la vegetación acuática y de ser una amenaza para la salud."
    Source: https://pecesypescanicaragua.blogspo...nicaragua.html

For none Spanish speakers it says that the Nicaraguan institute for fishing and agriculture (INPESCA) found the first specimen of this species in the great lake (Lake Nicaragua) in the year 2003. Today it is very abundant a long the coast of Ometepe (vulcanic island in the lake. This might case a lot of problems to fishing, tourism, economy etc. (not a word by word translation)

Seems like it is time for me to go fishing because i want more. Save money and help the situation.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

2 Not allowed!
    To be completely honest. By paying local boys (and girls) 10 cordoba a fish, 100 for big ones ;-)

Can you noodle for plecos. (since they cant bite)
    (and with caymans, bull sharks and different turtles in the same water the answer is no)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    You could technically but even without teeth those spines make it almost impossible unless you know what your doing

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Doing some more research and found this pic. Doesn't really look like a common hypostomus punctatus to me. Something seems wrong with the shape. Thoughts???

pleco.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...&image_id=2861

Maybe this but also the specimen could of been dead for a bit and faded it looks like it could be a punctatus to me
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 05-11-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It was catched in San Carlos a few years ago so i only got the picture to go by.
    Last edited by William; 05-11-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It is very beautiful on the island. There are a lot of Capuchin monkeys around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a presentation some years ago about those being an invasive species in Mexico. They do quite a lot of damage to the native species both directly and indirectly. Sort of like sheep on a cattle range, they scour the vegetation completely, leaving little or nothing for other species to eat, and destroying the balance of the larger ecosystem. There was video footage of a large school of them swimming in a river. I was surprised at that, always had the impression they were a more solitary fish.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...