· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Is My Turtle Fat?

0 Not allowed!
    So I took my turtle outside today and noticed something with his legs. I'm not sure if this is normal, not normal or if it's because he's overweight or if there's something wrong with him. As you can see in the photos, it just looks like maybe a glob of fat? When he would breathe in it would go back in like in the second photo. If it has been there before or always been there, I've never noticed it until now. I will be honest and say that I probably do feed my turtles too much. I just can't stand when the start swimming into the glass as fast as they can when they see me, hoping I'll feed them.

Does anyone know if this is normal or not? If it's because he is overweight or because something else is wrong? Thanks.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know nothing about turtles, but I would imagine fat would not move around so much. Sorry that I am not much help.

Also, if your turtles are going head first into the glass when they see you, maybe get them little helmets... had to say it. I am a smart ass at heart.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Does your other turtle have the same thing? I know she doesn't go outside, but can you check her in the tank?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas back at you ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I know nothing about turtles either but maybe Nat will pop in with some explanation. Is it the same on both sides? Front and back?
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Overweight turtles usually have trouble pulling their limbs in and it effect all four limbs. The fact that you haven't noticed it before and it goes in and out with respiration is a bit worrisome. If you have a reptile veterinarian near you, it might be time for a visit. I wish I could help more, but it is too hard to tell from pictures. Look on websites for reptile veterinarians or ask your dog and cat vet if they know of one. Don't take him or her (I can't see the tail), to anyone who has not dealt with turtles before. That would be a waste and reptiles, especially those who spend a significant time in water, stress easily on long car rides.

marc4