· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Nitrate

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

Smile No Nitrate

0 Not allowed!
    It's been 9 day now since I added the Dr. Tim's ammonia. Per the API Master Test Kit: My ammonia is still between 3 and 4 PPM, 0 Nitrites PPM, And 0 Nitrates PPM. Is it normal for it to take this long for any Nitrates to appear? Am I being impatient again? My temp is still at 86. Is this too high? Thanks
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    When I Was A Little Girl, All The Other Little Girls Wanted To Be Ballerinas; I Kinda Wanted To Be A Vampire
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, it is very common for the nitrAtes to take long to show up. You will see the nitrItes first. Cycling can take 2-4 weeks. Patience is key. It has taken me 2 weeks using ammonia and seeded media from another established tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately it is very common. I consistently get nitrite and trates started within a few days without bacteria. It has to be the water supply. About all you can do now is aeration and turn the heat up a bit. Remember this for the future. If you have any desire to get another tank in the future get the new filter well in advance and put it in your cycled tank. I cycle in about 3 days when I do that. It makes a huge difference. You can also just seed it with a small amount of media but it is lightning fast with a filter full of seasoned media.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryKat View Post
    It's been 9 day now since I added the Dr. Tim's ammonia. Per the API Master Test Kit: My ammonia is still between 3 and 4 PPM, 0 Nitrites PPM, And 0 Nitrates PPM. Is it normal for it to take this long for any Nitrates to appear? Am I being impatient again? My temp is still at 86. Is this too high? Thanks
    What size tank is this, and how do you plan to stock it?

86F is a bit high, 82F would be plenty...do you have a bubbler going?...if not, it would help

The beneficial bacteria you are trying to grow need oxygen, which is depleted faster at higher temps in the water column, the bubbler would create surface agitation to aid in gas exchange

How is the tank filtered?...what is the water source?...did you begin with a water conditioner?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the pH of the tank water. You should be seeing both nitrite and nitrate by now. 86F is fine but don't let the temp get higher.
    Last edited by mommy1; 05-08-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    What size tank is this, and how do you plan to stock it?

86F is a bit high, 82F would be plenty...do you have a bubbler going?...if not, it would help

The beneficial bacteria you are trying to grow need oxygen, which is depleted faster at higher temps in the water column, the bubbler would create surface agitation to aid in gas exchange

How is the tank filtered?...what is the water source?...did you begin with a water conditioner?
    Good catch Matt. I didn't notice his heat was currently at 86. That seems higher than necessary already.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    Nitrifying bacteria grow best in temps between 77F - 86F.http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html Any temp in that range is perfectly fine.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    86F being top-end, I'd aim for a bit less, just for the O2 factor...bubblers/surface agitation can only do so much
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 36 g Bowfront. I recently lost all my fish to Ich/Fungus. I posted about it in the thread Ich/Fungus In the General Aquarium Forum on 04/24/17. I raised the temp up to kill the Ich (stop it from re-producing) after I euthanized my last 2 fish and used more Rid Ich twice. I am using the same water so that is why I don't understand why the Nitrites (trates) have not appeared yet. The tank was barren for about 3 days before I added the ammonia. I have a Fluval 70 HOB and yes I do have an airstone. I have turned the temp down to 80 as of this posting. My water source is tap water with Stress Coat (when I get more fish, I will use Prime) and RO water. During my weekly cleanings, the ratio was approximately 2/3 tap water and 1/3 RO water. I was not very diligent about testing my Ph, ( I tested Ammonia and Nitrates weekly) but when I tested it about 6 months ago, it was 7.4. (API Master Test Kit) I just tested it and it was well below 7.4 on the High Range Ph test. Could this be the problem? Should I drain the whole thing and start over with my current media? Or completely start from scratch? Any advice is gratefully welcomed.
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    When I Was A Little Girl, All The Other Little Girls Wanted To Be Ballerinas; I Kinda Wanted To Be A Vampire
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Test the pH of your tank water just to be sure. Ammonia will cause pH to drop and if it gets to 6.0 all Nitrifying bacteria growth will stop. At 6.5 it slows down significantly.No need to start over completely, but some adjustments might be needed.