· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Taking Aqiatic Turtles Outside?

1 Not allowed!
    I'm really curious about this. I couldn't find much on the web about it. Is it ok, maybe even healthy, to occasionally take your aquatic turtles outside, to let them walk around in real grass, feel real sunshine?

About a week ago, I took both of my sliders ( I assume they're sliders ) outside. Lucy, the smallest one, didn't like it at all. She didn't move. Even when I would occasionally take them out in my room and put them on a towel, just to let them walk around, she still didn't move. But Hercules was the opposite. He would probably walk until he either walked off a cliff or got swept up by a predator. He always has his head up, looking around, smelling grass, etc. I really think he likes it but I'm not an expert so I don't know for sure. I quit taking Lucy out because after taking her out twice, it got to the point that when she sees my hand up over the water, she ducks under water and swims away from me, assuming I'm going to pick her up and take her out of the tank. So I no longer take her out when I take Hercules out.

Is this good or bad for them? I felt kind of bad because I've had them since they were hatchlings, so they've never actually walked around, never felt real grass or real sunshine. They've been stuck in a 20gal tank with only a basking site to walk on, which isn't large. I know they are aquatic, but don't they need to walk also? Lucy is the one in the top right of the collage. All the others are Hercules 🐢🐢

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So long as their isn't fresh fertizer or other chemicals, and he isn't in the sun for too long; it should be fine for him to get some outside exersice. I would assume they spend some time out of the water moving around in the wild-other than basking on a rock/log/bank. Though they are mainly aquatic they still need/use greenspace.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    So long as their isn't fresh fertizer or other chemicals, and he isn't in the sun for too long; it should be fine for him to get some outside exersice. I would assume they spend some time out of the water moving around in the wild-other than basking on a rock/log/bank. Though they are mainly aquatic they still need/use greenspace.
    That's what I thought. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't take them out lol. In the wild they have a lot more water to swim around in, a lot more space, and aren't confined to 20gal and just one basking site and one basking site only. To me it seems like they would actually need to go outside out of their tanks to walk around and get a little bit of exercise.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I try to take my box turtle out on the weekends-she makes a beeline for the darkest spot so she can go and hide so its me chasing her out of her hiding spot, picking her up and putting her in the middle of nowhere so she has to walk the furthest; until she tries to hide again. These past weekends have been cold and rainy-then fertilize was put down so maybe this weekend is he weekend out.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I try to take my box turtle out on the weekends-she makes a beeline for the darkest spot so she can go and hide so its me chasing her out of her hiding spot, picking her up and putting her in the middle of nowhere so she has to walk the furthest; until she tries to hide again. These past weekends have been cold and rainy-then fertilize was put down so maybe this weekend is he weekend out.
    Ha ha I do the same thing with Hercules. He doesn't hide though, and he actually walks toward the sun. I guess since he's an aquatic turtle. But he will walk so far that I have to pick him back up and put him at the front of the yard just to do it all over again a couple more times. I actually have a creek in the backyard, I have sooo many box turtles come up in my yard, I always find them beside the A.C. unit outside. I don't know much about them, do they live in creeks like I have? I can't imagine they'd be coming from anywhere else but as far as I know, box turtles don't like water? I've also thought about putting Hercules in it, but I've never done it and don't think I ever would, if be too afraid he would get away from me and go down the creek lol either that or not like the water since tank water is all he's ever known.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no box turtles love water. Not deep water, but enough water to splash in. If my girl didn't get the water so dirty she would live in it. Problem is she does get it so dirty, plus I can't put a filter in it because I can't make a wading pool too deep to get a filter in it that would be able to turn around the water and get all her junk out of it. So I have to change the water every day sometimes twice a day if she puts a lot of dirt in it. Her enclosure is dirted.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no box turtles love water. Not deep water, but enough water to splash in. If my girl didn't get the water so dirty she would live in it. Problem is she does get it so dirty, plus I can't put a filter in it because I can't make a wading pool too deep to get a filter in it that would be able to turn around the water and get all her junk out of it. So I have to change the water every day sometimes twice a day if she puts a lot of dirt in it. Her enclosure is dirted.
    They're definitely coming from the creek then. The water isn't deep at all. At my ankles unless it rains, then it goes up a foot or two. Oh god I had no idea turtles were so dirty. I mean of course I had heard of it, but until actually having one, I thought they'd be like having fish. I use a 40gal filter for a 20gal tank and it still doesn't suffice. I thought Hercules couldn't get any dirtier but when I put Lucy in, oh god. Like I don't even understand why or how they are so dirty. I know they poop a lot cause I clean that shit out daily. If I didn't love them it wouldn't be worth it but I do so it's totally worth it but they sure are dirty af 😂 I thought box turtles would be cleaner, but I've heard that they are worse lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Along with their waste, any leftover food rots in the water and they also slough off their skin cells all the time so that fouls the water too, unlike fish which have scales that don't fall off unless they injure themselves.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to add that it is very important to wait until it is warm enough outside. In the spring and early summer it can feel warm but be colder than you think (cold breeze). This can cause problems for your sliders. It is not so much the temp (sliders are rather cold tolerant) but rather the quick change in conditions that is the problem. Turtles that are taken out when it is too cold risk attracting pneumonia.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hddawn View Post
    . I don't know much about them, do they live in creeks like I have? I can't imagine they'd be coming from anywhere else but as far as I know, box turtles don't like water?
    You can learn more about box turtles here. Many types enjoy being close to water and there is even an aquatic box turtle but it is only found in Mexico.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast