· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Dead Crayfish?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Dead Crayfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, let me try to explain all of this without typing a book 😂 When I set up my 20 gal turtle tank, I put a large blue crayfish in the tank. The turtles never, ever messed with him and he never messed with them. Well, I woke up one morning to find him dead. I tested the water to see if I could find out why he died, and of course the ammonia levels were off the charts. There wasn't even a color to match the results with, that's how high it was. But the weird thing is that I also have 1 minnow, and 2 tetras in the tank. If the ammonia was as high as it was, shouldn't those fish of died also? I immediately did a complete water change. Cleaned the tank, bought new filters, everything. After that I decided to get another crayfish, because I really enjoyed having Poseidon in the tank. So I go get another crayfish, this time it was a very small gray one. She died 3 days later. So I decide to get another crayfish. This time I got 2, so it could have company. They were medium size red ones. After I put these 2 in, Hercules, my biggest turtle, starts acting extremely aggressive, going up to one of them, biting his claws. So I put a barrel decoration in the tank for the crayfish. I walk in one day to find one of them dead, but this time it was because of one of the turtles who done it, because all that was left was his head floating around.
    After that I made sure the one crayfish was in the barrel, because I didn't want him to get ate as well. Last night I added 4 gal of water to the tank. I took my turtles out so that I could lift the barrel and let the crayfish walk around for a while without fear of being ate. Last night I noticed that he had lost a lot of his red color. He still had some left, but not much. This morning I get up to find him laying on his side, all the way at the opposite end of the tank, dead. He completely lost all of his color, as you can see in the pictures. I also noticed that his antennas were gone. They are still there, but are very short. So I'm assuming my turtles done that. I don't have any more testing strips right now, so I can't test the water. The minnow and 2 tetras are still alive. Does anyone know what could of caused his death? I think that whatever it was has to do with why he no longer has color or something to do with the water I added? I also think he may have been stuck on his back the whole time he was inside the barrel bc when i lifted it, he was on his back and couldnt get up. He looks really bad to me and i feel horrible. I don't think I'll be getting any more crayfish..

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Im afraid that your turtles, much like goldfish are producing more waste than you system can handle. I would suggest large and frequent water changes.
    Are You Talkin To Me ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Well I think that the turtles are harassing/attacking the crays, also you mentioned test strips-you really should invest in testing kit from API as the strips aren't very accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate...=api+test+kits

Especially if you have fish with the turtles.

What type of filters do you have on the tank? Also do you regularly do any tank maintenance like weekly water changes?

Most tank maintenance involves a water change of 50-80%, and filter maintenance depending on the type of filter(s) you have set up on the tank. Turtles may be less sensitive than fish-but fish are sensitive to small amounts of ammonia and nitrites and levels of nitrates usually over 20 ppm.

Also do you condition the water using a product like Seachem Prime that will neutralize chlorine and chloramine as well as temporary neutralize ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for a 24-48 hour period of time?

BTW I am sorry for your losses with the crayfish. If you decide to get more crays, they will eventually go after your other fish in the tank, and the turtles may also be able to catch the fish one day and eat them too.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Well I think that the turtles are harassing/attacking the crays, also you mentioned test strips-you really should invest in testing kit from API as the strips aren't very accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate...=api+test+kits

Especially if you have fish with the turtles.

What type of filters do you have on the tank? Also do you regularly do any tank maintenance like weekly water changes?

Most tank maintenance involves a water change of 50-80%, and filter maintenance depending on the type of filter(s) you have set up on the tank. Turtles may be less sensitive than fish-but fish are sensitive to small amounts of ammonia and nitrites and levels of nitrates usually over 20 ppm.

Also do you condition the water using a product like Seachem Prime that will neutralize chlorine and chloramine as well as temporary neutralize ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for a 24-48 hour period of time?

BTW I am sorry for your losses with the crayfish. If you decide to get more crays, they will eventually go after your other fish in the tank, and the turtles may also be able to catch the fish one day and eat them too.
    Okay, the filter I use is the 40 gal one in the picture. The filter beside it is the one that came with the 20gal Zoo Med set up. It was absolutely worthless, so we bought the 40 gallon one. The blue sponge in the third photo is one of the things that goes inside of the filter and it has those black rock looking things inside. Sorry,I'm not good with all the aquarium terms lol. The first photo is of Reptisafe, which I just used last night when I added 4 gallons to the tank. It says that it removes chlorine and chloramnes as well as removes ammonia and helps prevent it's accumulation along with a few other things. The only other thing I use is the clarity which is a water clarified.

And yesss I definitely try to keep their tank clean, I literally just did a complete water change as well as replace all filters, bought new rocks ( I use a little bit as substrate so it is easier for crayfish to walk on ), and scrubbed the whole tank as well as everything in it. I done all of this about a week ago. Actually it's been exactly 8 days. Do i really need to change their water every single week? Since I got the tank I've done water changes every other week, so basically every 2 weeks. Sometimes I do it every 9 or 10 days if it looks really dirty. When I had the crayfish, on the right side of the tank I had rocks as substrate for him to walk around and a little cave for him. I would leave the left side bare ( no substrate) so that I could use my net and scoop up all the waste that would accumulate. I do this daily and it is the only reason I find it acceptable to do water changes every other week. Even though I do this, I should still do water changes every week? When should I do complete water changes ( changing all the water, scrubbing tank, cleaning filters, etc )?

Oh! The other fish were supposed to be feeder fish. I bought the ones that a worker at Petsmart suggested. The turtles don't try to eat them at all, but the large blue crayfish did ( I had 4 minnows, he hate 3 ) The only time the turtles would eat them is if they were hand fed by me. They don't chase them. But as soon as I out crickets in the tank, they immediately start chasing them. So now the minnow and tetras are part of the tank, I don't plan on getting another crayfish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goby View Post
    Im afraid that your turtles, much like goldfish are producing more waste than you system can handle. I would suggest large and frequent water changes.
    I would have to do water changes every few days then lol 😝😣

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Have you read the cycling section? You mentioned you cleaned everything in the tank-you may have cleaned any beneficial bacteria out of the water if you cleaned your filter media (the white rings) in tap water. they should be rinsed in tank water or if that is dirty-the tap water treated with the repti-safe or a water conditioner like Prime-which is safe for turtles and is much more concentrated so will last a lot longer. The water conditioner is also needed to remove the chlorine and chloramine from the tap water-if these are not removed they will kill your beneficial (nitrifying) bacteria in your filter.

Turtles can be susceptible to ammonia burns too, but the Reptisafe you are putting in will not keep the ammonia neutral forever unless you are adding it every day. You need to have beneficial bacteria in your filter to break down the ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates. The only way to remove nitrates in a tank without plants is through water changes-even with plants you need to do water changes as turtle tanks make lots of nitrates because they tend to be dirtier tanks for some reason.

Since turtles tend to be dirty and you should be cleaning their water on a weekly basis-unfortunately I have used that filter and found it lacking so you probably need to clean the filter weekly too. You can also use a HOB filter to help with the filtration in that tank. I would still recommend getting an actual testing kit vs strips so you know whats going on with the water.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore