· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Water

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

Default Help with Water

0 Not allowed!
    I added the Dr Tim's ammonia a little more than 48 hours ago. I just tested my tank with the API Master Test Kit and my ammonia was between 3 and 4 PPM. I also tested it with the SeaChem Multi test. The SeaChem test did not detect any NH3. My Nitrites were 0 and my Nitrates were well below 5PPM (pretty much no nitrates). Do these results mean that I have none of the good bacteria left in my tank? It was about 3 days after my last fish died before I added the Ammonia. Do I need to get some Nitrifying bacteria? Is the problem the Dr. Tim's ammonia? I finally found an ACE hardware, but it's pretty far away. Why am I getting a zero reading for ammonia from SeaChem (I only tested for the free NH3 because I know the API tests for NH4 as well) Why is my tank testing so high for NH4? Sorry for all the questions at once. Could the Rid Ich be causing the API test to show 4PPM of ammonia? Should I drain it and start all over again? (For more info regarding why I was using Rid Ich see my post titled Ich/Fungus in the General Aquarium Forum) Thanks for any advice and/or answers to my many questions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

1 Not allowed!
    Be patient. It takes time to cycle your tank. Good bacteria will colonize your aquarium within 1-2 weeks even if there is none in the aquarium right now.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am doing the same thing ATM with my 75 gallon. I use the Ace Hardware brand ammonia though. I got my ammonia to 2ppm and it's been just over 24 hours. I would wait about 72-96 hours before you will see any changes. What filter/media do you have? I cycled my 75 gallon the first time about 6 years ago and completed the cycle in about 16 days. I think that is next to impossible to do twice.
    If your ammonia doesn't go down a little after about 4-5 days and you have no nitrites I would say do a partial water change.
    Keep in mind I have been out of the fish world for 5+ years so I am trying to recall exactly what I did before.
    Just to give you an idea I put in 2 TSP of ammonia yesterday and it tested at 2 ppm today.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    The Seachem Ammonia test will only test for free toxic ammonia (NH3-). It does not test total ammonia, which includes ammonia (NH3-) and ammonium (NH4+). Ammonium is not toxic to fish, and bacteria can still consume it. Dr. Tim's Ammonia is actually bond ammonium chloride. The API ammonia Test will detect this since it will test for total ammonia. For those with chloramine in their water (instead of chlorine), the API ammonia test will also show this result.

Show in short

API ammonia test result = ammonia + ammonium + chloramine + ammonium chloride + ammonium hydroxide

Seachem Ammonia test result = ammonia

I suspect the Seachem Ammonia Test will show 0ppm with the Ace Hardware ammonia since it is bound ammonium hydroxide

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Show in short

API ammonia test result = ammonia + ammonium + chloramine + ammonium chloride + ammonium hydroxide

Seachem Ammonia test result = ammonia

I suspect the Seachem Ammonia Test will show 0ppm with the Ace Hardware ammonia since it is bound ammonium hydroxide
    I am a little lost here. Which is better, API or the Seachem test?

FYI my numbers are now:

Ammonia = 2.0
    Nitrites = 5.0
    Nitrates = 20

That's only since I added 2 TSP of ammonia on Saturday.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    API is much more comprehensive, it's the only one I'll ever use.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So if the SeaChem test reads 0 PPM for ammonia, is my tank safe for fish or should I wait until the API test shows 0 PPM as well?
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    When I Was A Little Girl, All The Other Little Girls Wanted To Be Ballerinas; I Kinda Wanted To Be A Vampire
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Wait until the API tests 0. This cycle is 4 or 5 days old right? Unless you used seeded media it's not likely you are done, even with a bacteria booster. It sounds like you are in a hurry and I understand that but make sure you are good. If ammonia doses return to 0ppm in 24HRs for both ammonia and nitrite, with some nitrate reading. Until that happens you aren't cycled yet. Wouldn't hurt to do it another day even if that happens. You'll want to do a WC to get rid of nitrates before you add fish. Good luck. Hope it happens for you soon.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 05-02-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay thanks.
    When I Was A Little Girl, All The Other Little Girls Wanted To Be Ballerinas; I Kinda Wanted To Be A Vampire

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I guess I am in a hurry. I miss having fish. I do not and will not get any more until my parameters are as close to perfect as possible. Thanks to all for their advice and insight.