· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default What is happening

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm a noob fish owner and plant owner and panic about everything

What is this radioactive plant doing lmao

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    That's blue-green algae, which is not actually an alga but rather a photosynthetic bacterium. They tend to bloom in waters with high organic content, and some species may produce environmental toxins harmful to animals.
    I'd remove as much as I can with the siphon/gravel vac, and increase the frequency and size of water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    That's blue-green algae, which is not actually an alga but rather a photosynthetic bacterium. They tend to bloom in waters with high organic content, and some species may produce environmental toxins harmful to animals.
    I'd remove as much as I can with the siphon/gravel vac, and increase the frequency and size of water changes.
    Would high organic content be because I have too many plants?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No...could be from overfeeding, though
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    madagascariensis got the nail on the head to much organics it could come from food and yes also from dead plant material but just siphon it off the plants and do water changes and this will help a ton

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Okay. I did a 50% water change and scrubbed all my deco with hot water and a brand new toothbrush. Ran my plants under water to get all the mulm off and removed the radioactive leaf

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Next time no need to remove the plants if you run the siphon hose over the leaves the blue-green algae should come right off.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Next time no need to remove the plants if you run the siphon hose over the leaves the blue-green algae should come right off.
    My siphon isn't very good it's a cheap one from petsmart so it doesn't do that I need to pick up a better one

I just used gloves and pulled the leaf off

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The cyanobacteria won't go away quickly. It will take perhaps weeks of water quality control and removal before it is eradicated.

because of this you probably should try to take it off the leaves as opposed to pulling leaves off, the cyanobacteria will re-colonize faster than the plant can grow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    The cyanobacteria won't go away quickly. It will take perhaps weeks of water quality control and removal before it is eradicated.

because of this you probably should try to take it off the leaves as opposed to pulling leaves off, the cyanobacteria will re-colonize faster than the plant can grow.
    If I take the plant out will that stop it? Cause he has looots of other plants