· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    The cyanobacteria is growing on the plants. The plants are not the cause of bloom.The cause is high levels of nitrate and other waste products in the water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    The cyanobacteria is growing on the plants. The plants are not the cause of bloom.The cause is high levels of nitrate and other waste products in the water.
    Okaydoke I'll just keep an eye on stuff then. I tested today though and my Nitrates weren't any higher than usual. So it's more likely waste

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So few questions:
    What other actions can I do to stop this? I read turning lights off helps is that true?

My tap water has 10ppm of Nitrates in it all the time so how helpful are water changes going to be if Nitrates are the cause of the algae?

What's a good gravel vacuum/siphon?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    okay I bought that vacuum and it's going to be here tuesday because they didn't have it at my fishy storeeeee rip

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Also I remove the "algae" by hand whenever I see it. Jus rub your index finger and thumb over the leaf it should rub right off and into the trash :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So I found the vacuum isn't picking up the algae off the plants so I rubbed everything off and tried to vacuum it up from the gravel or took it right out of the tank if it stayed on my fingers.

My sink has some draining issues so we're going to fix it tomorrow and try again.

I also think I've found the problem. There's a lot of yuck in my gravel that my other siphon wasn't picking up - thanks petsmart - so I'm thinking tomorrow I'll pull everything out and give the gravel a really good cleaning with this new vacuum.

Are huge water changes dangerous? Or should I be okay since good bacteria is in the filter not the water?

I ended up doing about 50% today just from trying to get into the gravel and this tube is huge vs my 10 gal. Would I be okay to do another big one tomorrow - hopefully less with nothing in the way - or should I not?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoelFae View Post
    Are huge water changes dangerous? Or should I be okay since good bacteria is in the filter not the water?
    Yes and no. Huge water changes are not inherently dangerous. It's the fluctuations in water temperature and other parameters that may be caused by large water changes that are really dangerous.
    In a neglected tank where the tank water has decreased pH, high nitrates and other altered parameters, a large water change can be harmful since the tap water parameters are radically different.
    In a tank with a history of regular water changes, the tank's parameters are similar to that of the tap water and you can change large amounts of water, provided you match the temperature and dechlorinate the water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Yes and no. Huge water changes are not inherently dangerous. It's the fluctuations in water temperature and other parameters that may be caused by large water changes that are really dangerous.
    In a neglected tank where the tank water has decreased pH, high nitrates and other altered parameters, a large water change can be harmful since the tap water parameters are radically different.
    In a tank with a history of regular water changes, the tank's parameters are similar to that of the tap water and you can change large amounts of water, provided you match the temperature and dechlorinate the water.
    My usual water changes are 10%-20% a week and I always try to keep the temperature almost exact (I have a "water changing thermometer") my nitrates are usually steady around 20 - though the last check today they were high but I did a change and hopefully they'll drop

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not to change the subject entirely, but I never really understood the whole Python system. wouldn't it totally mess up the tank water's PH and Temp ect? Not to mention the added chlorine and Chloramine?