· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

Default My son and his tank

0 Not allowed!
    OK so, my son has always liked my tanks and admired the fish but despised the lfs. So today I know they had their plant shipment in on Thursday so I buzz down since I'd just gutted and redid a betta tank to see what they had. My son wanted to go... Like no argument or hesitation... Should have been my sign...

So we get there and he's watching the goldfish a while then finally he asks if he can have a tank in his room for science. I'm big in learning and especially the sciences. I automatically ask what kind of science, hoping it's not chemistry or something lol he's only 8 so really that statement can mean A LOT. Long story short he talks me into it.

I agreed to a 10 gallon. I basically had everything but a heater to get him started. I talked him out of the feeder goldfish he was admiring as they all looked to be short on life span. Eventually he decided he wanted Platty and Guppies.

I know two things, First one male to at least two females and second I just got snacks for the Ctenopomas.

Over population is not my concern. But knowing nothing about live bearers is. (I don't do baby anything). I want to be sure I can guide him properly on caring for these guys and if anyone can advise on a "What to expect when you're expecting" Platty and Guppy version I'm wide open lol. Like how do I know when they are carrying, when they've "laid?" I don't even know what to call it lol.

I do have Danios but they have eggs and in that particular tank I'll never get a fry and that's purposefully as like I said I don't baby. Lol I know nothing.

Help!

I'm by no means an expert aquarist but I've been keeping tanks off and on for nearly 30 years. Tank parameters, wc etc I got that business. :) this tank went into action with a fully cycled filter running on a 20 gallon initially to get another filter seeded and going without tanking a cycle so I'm ahead of the game there. Due diligence in both tanks, got it. Just need my live bearer 411. And tips as to what I need to go research.

We want babies, but we won't be "breeding".

Ooo FYI only three Platty came home today the guppies will wait as there were no girls. If the Lfs doesn't have them by the time I know this tank is stable we'll order three of his choice online.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Well you'll get babies if you add a female only issue will be when there are way to many just have a plan like donating the new ones back to the lfs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    You'll get babies whether you "breed" them or not. Some will survive in the community tank if there are weeds/plants in the tanks. As Joe said just have a plan so you don't overcrowd the tank. And start with a light load from the start so you can allow him to keep a couple of his favorites. Breeding live bearers is exactly what hooked on the hobby. By age 12 I was handling all tank maintenance, checking out books from the library on guppies, mollies and swords. I had the fever and I don't think it was a such a bad thing. To the contrary in fact. I stil enjoy it though with far less "random" breeding.

I think you made a good decision.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

4 Not allowed!
    Like how do I know when they are carrying, when they've "laid?" I don't even know what to call it lol.

It is pretty obvious, really. When they are pregnant their bellies get very big. It starts to get almost a squared off shape before they deliver. You will know "when they laid" because they deliver the babies live and you will see the babies swim and scurry to hide. You might even see some of the babies get eaten right away, too.

Also, keep in mind that these fish produce a HUGE bioload to the tank. A 10G with 3 platy and 3 guppy gives you about 101% stocking without any babies.
    Last edited by Silbar; 04-30-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Like how do I know when they are carrying, when they've "laid?" I don't even know what to call it lol.

It is pretty obvious, really. When they are pregnant their bellies get very big. It starts to get almost a squared off shape before they deliver. You will know "when they laid" because they deliver the babies live and you will see the babies swim and scurry to hide. You might even see some of the babies get eaten right away, too.

Also, keep in mind that these fish produce a HUGE bioload to the tank. A 10G with 3 platy and 3 guppy gives you about 101% stocking without any babies.
    Agree with all this, but he can still raise a few fry and "cheat" just a little to keep it fun. The upside to a small aquarium is you can do a 25% WC everyday in a few minutes if water testing says it's necessary. It takes five minutes and can be done very low tech if you set a bucket of water out the day before to come up to somewhat near temp. A siphon hose and a bucket is about all you need. I've done mini changes with a large iced tea pitcher. I could argue it's not cheating because you are doing constant water changes. I did this for many years in fact but you can't be lazy if you stock the tank fully. The kid isn't raising neon tetras and discus.

And don't buy a breeder trap and stress the heck out of momma. I hate em! She'd be FAR less stressed in a Rubbermaid with an airstone and some floating weeds. Or even just left in a weeded up community tank.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 04-30-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    If you now have 1 male and 2 female platys I'd leave it at that until some breeding happens. Then decide on the guppies, which I don't think you will really have room for. Platys get to about 2" and the females can get even larger than that. They can also have large numbers of fry. Guppies are smaller but even a trio of guppies alone would soon overstock a 10g tank. Been there, done that. I'm now happily guppy free. Well, except for my 4 male endlers in one tank and 2 female endlers in another which I got as unsexed fry. Fortunately, I was able to separate them as soon as I could sex them and prevent breeding.

Live bearers are fun, but just for a while. I know you're planning these as food for other fish, but is your 8 yr old up for that? Have a plan for rehoming just in case.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I didn't know their bioload was similar to goldfish, ick... Good to know though!

Yes my son is well aware of where the majority of the fry will go. He's been hunting for his entire life and we've seen some "stuff" his only request that I take the fry when they are bite size.

So there is creeping Jenny and a pretty sword plant of some sort in his tank I didn't plant it heavily as I knew I'd be very close to maxing the tank and wanted the ease of cleaning. And it's light source for now is a table lamp aimed in that direction as well natural ambient lighting in the room so I should be able to keep the creeping Jenny manageable while still providing a bit of hiding space for fry.

Sounds like once I the ctenopoma are large enough to move from the 20 they are growing in, I should leave it planted and transfer his fish there.

As for PWC I'm always and I mean always doing something with my tanks so as long as they can stand simple PWC throughout the week and then once or twice a week a good vacuum and walls wiping tank maintenance shouldn't be a problem for me if that won't suffice though let me know! I don't mind doing maintenance through the week and teaching him of the ways so that he can start doing some on his own.

As for breeder trap lol no way! If I was making babies specifically to feed or sell maybe... But they are for my son and I'd prefer to let nature run its course, ctenopoma snacks are just my plan to prevent over population!

If my son gets really really upset about feeding the fry I'll "take them to the lfs" or give him the option to buy and maintain a fry tank on his own. And yes by "take them to the lfs" I do mean that I'll feed to mine when he's gone from the house. I also understand that he's apt to kill a few batches of fry before getting his routine down. And of course I'll help if he chooses to grow some out in a different tank, he is only 8 I'll still pack his water and clean the filter as well as provide a helping hand whenever he needs it. But I'll leave him to make his own decisions for the most part as he will see the repercussions quickly and I doubt he will falter much. In that case I would donate the survivors to lfs or whomever and not steal them for snacks unless of course it becomes necessary to reduce population and then I'd still discreetly drop a couple daily.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    OK so is this seriously happening already? Towards the center at the top of the pic just to the left side of the sad sword leaf. My son spied this a few minutes ago.

It's basically transparent except for a blackish line through the top and what I assume to be eyes. Definitely fish shaped and definitely swimming.

From pics online neither of the females looked to be big enough to deliver, one I thought maybe came carrying the other looks almost the same as the male belly wise. The slimmer female has also been pretty quiet and I not really interested in food as of yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    And it begins, get ready, lol

I went through a platy fiasco with my daughter's 10G, donated probably 150 platy fry to my lfs....it was a PITA, never again
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    There better pics.