· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Steam from turtle light? Help!!

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I have a 20 gal turtle tank with 2 small turtles. I have the zoo med bundle which came with 50 watt heat bulb. In the photo below( the second one is just showing how odd they are lol ), when I look at my turtles from that exact angle, I see steam!! It looks exactly like the steam you see while cooking. Is this ok or normal? I unplugged my heater earlier when I seen that my tank was at 86, I usually want to keep it around 80. Any advice/ideas?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the water temp. If the water temp stay "low" then it is unlikely that the lamp is too hot for them to bask. (considering your basking spot is close to the water.)
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Steam off the turtles themselves?

I agree I doubt it's to hot for your turtles ��

They need a basking spot between 85-90f

So I suggest getting that heater back in the most important thing for them is a stable heat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Is your heater calibrated? It shouldn't heat the water to 86 if it's set for 80. What is the room temp where you are?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry can't figure out how to edit yet. Are you thinking your 50 watt bulb is heating the water by 6?
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure guys. I have a heater in the tank but I don't know what temperature it cuts itself off at, but I do know that it does it because it will cut off and on through out the day. The temperature in my room is around 70. I'm not sure if the steam comes off the turtle themselves or what I just know I freaked out when I saw it. But they don't act like it bothers them. Lately the tank has been getting hotter and hotter. Usually it stays at 80 but has been 82, 84, 86 and higher.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    That does not sounds good. The temp shouldn't be climbing. Try placing something below to edges of the lamp to raise it a few centimeters (1-2 inch) from its current position. If the temperature continues to climb you can raise it another few cm.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In the evening, after the basking lights go off, does the temp drop? If so, to what temp?

I wouldn't worry about the steam of the turtles, the water is cooler than the basking area, and it's just water off the turtle's backs steaming off. They look like happy little turtles to me! But agreed, it wood be good to get on top of that temp issue, especially if it's swinging during the day to night.
    -Kat