· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

Default Pinky Filter Padding for HOB Filters

0 Not allowed!
    I see a lot about this "Pinky" floss type cut to size padding on YouTube, etc... I have an aqua tech filter that even with brand new filter pads, the water from the middle of the filter always leaks back into the tank. This should not be. Should only be happening when the Filter Pads are dirty. These filters come with Charcoal inside, which I bet is the problem. It's stopping the correct flow rate. So I was thinking of buying a roll of this and using the Pinky material instead. This would be much cheaper in the long run. But, Is this safe for Fish? Does anybody use this Pinky material? Thanks in advance.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    (Angel Fish, Gold Severum, Black Neons, Cory Cats, Cherry Barbs)
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a photo or link for it? I use this blue bonded filter in my tanks...cut to fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    51aJ31BeMSL._SY355_.jpg

Many of the HOB filters can be modified to be like mini-canister filters. Ditch the cartridge (and the carbon which is really only needed to remove medicine and tannin from water) and add some filter media for biological filtration and use some polyfill or this blue bonded type media as the mechanical filtration. Its disposable and the biological filtration is not and will be with you for the lifetime of this tank and many more if you move it.

Here is an example of many common HOB filters and how you can modify them
    Picture3.jpg

The sponge=the blue bonded media or poly fill which is actually a quilting batting many use. If you go with it use 100% acrylic without any additives.

Also it should come in a sheet or roll-not fluff:

Yes:
    images (3).jpg

No:
    images (1).jpg

Hope this helps, plus it will save you $$$ in the long run not having to buy the cartridges over and over again. To clean just rinse the bacterial media in some tank water you have in a fish only bucket and keep it wet until you are ready to set up the filter again. You can sometimes reuse the blue bonded media if you rinse it, but the polyfill batting is one time use-but is so cheap its not a big deal.
    Last edited by Boundava; 04-26-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just Googled the Pink filter stuff and it looks to be the same as the blue bonded one. It says its better than it-but does't say how. Blue bonded also has a dual sides to trap large and smaller particles.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Is the Blue Bonded sturdy and can stand up on it's own, like a Pad does? The HOB's I want to use them in are the old school ones with the Vertical Bio Bag Inserts. Not the Aqua Clear type filters. I want to be able to just slide it in place.Also, does it matter which side is facing the back of the filter?
    Last edited by Dino1956; 04-26-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it does...at least the one I linked does. Of course if you cut a really big piece it won't. When I get home I will see if I can geta quick video for you.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. Appreciate it.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the wait, trying to figure out why photos no longer upload, think its the goofy internet service and the photo sizes. Didn't have enough battery on the cell for a video, but I think these will help.

This is the only way it would load for me, sorry :sscry:

20170426_181351-ANIMATION.gif
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That's fine. That looks thicker than I imagined and more sturdy. Yea I think I will go with this Blue Bonded instead.
    Thank you for taking the time to post that. Appreciate it.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No problem.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore