· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I know, I'm thinking that as well. The water is missing minerals I'm sure, the plants are missing fertilizers and it shows. It's not like angelfish need very many minerals, I mean, they prefer soft water with a low TDS, but maybe something important is missing. I'm gonna go back to maybe mixing the water and doing bigger WCs. Try that.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Are you talking about hatching baby brine shrimp? My experience is mostly live-bearers but there is no better nutrition for most fry. They literally double in size in a few days. Growth rate is definitely about twice as fast and gets them out of the dangerous time quickly. Adults will eat the leftovers. I picked up the SF Bay Hatchery kit that uses a two liter soda bottle. Even comes with egg and salt mix packets. Kit isn't necessary but it was cheap and makes the operation much easier. About all you need is a small air pump and desk lamp to provide a little warmth for a fast hatch rate. They start hatching out in about 24 hours at 80F.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I am trying to turn over the mental cogs. But there was a video that I watched ages ago about fry raising and parent tanks. The guy/girl can't remember had small clip on tanks that were on the side of the main tank with a small syphone and refill air line constantly cycling the water through the fry tank into the adult tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Oooh tx OTF and mac! Both are very helpful comments :)

I have thought about a sump to run both fry tanks. Or something. Great thought!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    A friend of mine troubleshooting commented on my sponge filter. That is something I have changed. I used to use those black sponge filters with the weighted base until the base rotted out on me and I thought it was possibly leeching lead. So I replaced both filters in the fry tanks with the ones pictured. That's the one in my 10g. Since the tiny hatchlings get sucked up and apparently so can older fry in the 5g, I wrapped the whole filter in a knee high nylon. I posted a pic of the 5g today just to show the filter.

I got those things on Ebay, they are cheap plastic, with little gravel pieces on the bottom for weights. They also act as added biomedia (even though the gravel is smooth ) to some extent I'm sure. The sponge is more floss than sponge.

Anybody have any thoughts on that?

She also thinks my older loner fry could have polished off the newly hatched fry. Could be anything.

And I tried to get a pic to show the size of the loner fry today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 05-20-2017 at 05:28 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the best pic at the monent I can get of the loner fry two days earlier than today's pic. IMO, now that I look at its size, I don't fully trust it. The dorsal fins weren't visible two days ago. The eyes were much tinier. Hmmmmm
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    So you are thinking there's more than one "loner" left?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry, I mustn't be explaining it properly. I'm rambling too much maybe.

Ok, I have one loner survivor from the spawn 12 days before the latest one. I noticed this fish grew a lot over the last few days, just my shot in the dark, but I was wondering about the possibility that the older fry (single) ate all the newly hatched fry from the latest attempt. I'm just trying to figure out what happened, or what everybody thinks, if they've thought about it.

Anyway, thanks for giving it thought ;)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    No, that's the same fry two days later, after all the fry from the second spawn dissappeared at once. I felt he grew awfully fast the last few days. Just thinking some good nutrition live food would've boosted growth...
    Idk, I was speculating whether or not I think the lone survivor ate the newly hatched. Looking at his size now, I wouldn't have trusted him with the newly hatched. Just trying to figure out what happened to the little fry.

Here's today's pics of the loner fry. He's really getting big fast. On top of that, when I was taking the pics, he was pecking at his reflection!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Slowly but surely they are growing