· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default My newest angelfish breeding project

2 Not allowed!
    I'm raising the fry in a seperate 5g tank, since the babies always dissappear within a week's time in my planted 33g breeder tanks with the parents.

But for some reason, I've been having problems raising fry lately, so I asked for help. These are the suggestions I've received:

Clean my nursery. I was keeping neocaridina shrimp, red ramshorn snails, and one baby orange laser cory in the tank. So I removed all the critters except for the snails and rehomed them into other tanks.

Next, use the parent's tank water for water changes. I moved all the tanks into the fish room for easier transfer. After I caught the shrimp and cory, I drained the tank down to 10%. Then I drained 5gs out of the parent's tank with wigglers. I filled the nursery with this tank water and set the temp to the same temperature as the parent's tank. I took a turkey baster and sucked up a bunch (but not all) the fry, to not peeve off the angel parents, I don't think they really notice I take some when I leave a few wigglers in the parents tank. I carried the baster with water and fry to the nursery and just squirted them out gently into the nursery.

After that, I refilled the parent's tank with aged primed water heated to the same temp as the tank.
    So both my nursery tank and the parent's tank with fry get daily WCs.

So here goes the test, we'll see how this batch goes. I want to breed fish again, so I'm putting in a special effort, so here's hoping it pays off.

I raised the sponge filter so that the wigglers wouldn't get sucked toward it and cramped/squished. I also wrapped a natural colour nylon knee-high stocking around the sponge filter since the little fry still fit though.

Here's some pics of the moved tank and wigglers :) That white thing in the tank pic is a small piece of cuttlebone to keep the kh from dropping too low, and also for the snails.

I may add an IAL if I have some left and if you pros think it's a good idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-20-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Joe, I appreciate your input. And thanks for the suggestions! I'm keeping my hopes up this time and documenting to help me figure out what I was doing wrong lately. Sometimes I guess I forget how I did it the last successful time. It's funny, my best turn out was the first spawn I ever raised artificially and didn't know what I was doing. It's not that hard to raise angelfish!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Keep us updated on how things works.

Thus far the plan sounds perfect.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Tx mac! I appreciate that. I will keep you updated, it helps me and hopefully others as well :)

I just did a small WC with the parent's water. I'm using a baster to clean at this point, I could use an airline tube, screened with netting, which I will use when the fry start eating. I just don't feel large water changes are necessary or even a good idea while the fish are in this stage. I also removed the large ramshorns, 1) because they pooped too much 2) because although I don't believe they would intentionally hurt or eat a living baby, they would crawl over the babies and idk if that would squish them or cause deformities. The small tiny ones are still there, I've stopped feeding the tank right now (for the snails) and just baster up any baby snail poop and replace with parent's tank water at this point.

I lost track of what day it is, (for the wigglers) but if I were to guess, I'd say they will be free-swimming by Sunday evening, maybe Monday. I'll go back and figure it out later for sure.

And as far as die off, I counted maybe 25 yesterday. It was very hard to count yesterday, they were spread out all over and hiding in the wood. Today, I played "mama angelfish" and gently grouped together all the babies I could find with my baster. That made for easier cleaning anyway, and they seemed to like to latch on to the fissidens, (maybe some java mixed in, not sure.) But mama and papa Angelfish both keep the group together in their tank, so I figured I'd do the same....

Here's a pic of some of the babies today, how they've developed. It's hard to count, but once I scouted and grouped, I think I counted at least 22 today. Not all of them are shown in the pic I don't think.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-22-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    There are still babies in the breeder tank with the parents, I plan to add them to the 5g with the others when they need rescueing. This gives the parents another try at the same time AND I can compare growth and survival rates between the 5g and fry with the parents.

This is the parent's tank and wigglers. I was going to just take a few pics, but she got a string of moss or algae stuck on her lip and the babies all are stuck to the string. It was too funny not to record.

And here's some pics for those who aren't near WiFi, or simply enjoy pics :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    That vid was indeed hilarious...it would bug the crap out of me if I were the momma, though
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I know, I felt bad, but I watched and she was spitting the babies free by the end. She was also smart enough to try wrapping the string around the DW tip.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Here are Sunday's pictures. Some of the fry went free-swimming last night as expected. The fry in the tank with the parents were starting to buzz around the leaf hammock, parents were trying hard to keep them in bed, but when I fed them, they 'misbehaved' and scattered to eat the fry food.

In the fry tank, when I took the pics, they were not swimming yet, and they are hard to see, but if you can zoom in, you can see little black eyes. Later on I saw some were free-swimming, so I'd say the growth rate is about the same so far.

Temperature is identical in both tanks.

Last pic was posted by mistake
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    -Kat