· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Very happy to hear he finally saw the light. Once he sees the change in her coat and overall health he will realize he made the right choice.
    Thanks, yes it's a huge relief for me.

When he told me, he told me how much the food cost. He wasn't convinced. I said, that's because it is real food. How much does it cost to buy real food for yourself?

I feed my cat Wilderness Salmon kibbles. His coat is so thick and silky and shiny. He bathes more than any other cat I've ever had. Stunning and immaculate, in my unbiased opinion.
    Last edited by jana; 09-19-2017 at 02:47 AM.
    ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

29g planted freshwater tank
    AC70 HOB
    Satellite Pro LED 24-36 20W 20-LEDs (14-6500K 6-RGBW)
    Tahitian Moon Sand w/some Flourite

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"
    "Hey, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss."
    "If it sounds like a fact, it is a fact."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, happy you got your Emperors ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    We feed our dog and two cats with a high quality food as well. It is pretty expensive but I find you have to feed less because there's no fillers. I'm glad to hear he came around.. it will be a benefit to your dog.
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    We feed our dog and two cats with a high quality food as well. It is pretty expensive but I find you have to feed less because there's no fillers. I'm glad to hear he came around.. it will be a benefit to your dog.
    Sounds like digestibility is high in the HQ food, so less bad stuff coming out or affecting the animals..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jana View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply and info!

So far it is only the one fish that appears to have the problem.

It is a little more off white today, so I thought maybe it's responding to the treatment. But when I look closely, it seems to be slightly thicker, which I guess would happen with fungus. The dark spot below also seems a little more pronounced.

He still shows no other signs of illness.

So you would choose to euthenize the one fish immediately? I don't have a QT tank to move the fish to. It's unpleasant, but I will do it if it is best. I used to have to euthenize half-dead birds, mice, lizards and such because of my cats when I lived in the mountains. I never got used to it, but I knew I was saving them from a long drawn out death.
    I know this is not for me, but I wouldn't euthanize the fish yet, especially since it's not acting in distress. I know the mark is getting bigger, but oftentimes injuries look thicker with scar tissue before they heal. If it is true fungus, it won't be contagious either. Unless the fish starts going downhill, can you give it a couple days with extra care and see how it looks?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Same here, we feed our dog high quality expensive food. Chelsea is now 12 years old, I want her to be the healthiest she can be. If you can't afford nutritious food, don't keep a pet is how I feel. I spend a lot on fish food too, that stuff isn't cheap!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Sounds like digestibility is high in the HQ food, so less bad stuff coming out or affecting the animals..
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Same here, we feed our dog high quality expensive food. Chelsea is now 12 years old, I want her to be the healthiest she can be. If you can't afford nutritious food, don't keep a pet is how I feel. I spend a lot on fish food too, that stuff isn't cheap!

It takes a significant amount of energy to digest food. If the food isn't high nutrition and/or easily digestible, the benefits of ingestion may be cancelled out, or actually take more than is obtained from the food.

People somehow attribute some magic power to pets that allows them to survive and thrive on crap. I guess they figure the leavings are just as good, but taste a lot worse, which is no problem for pets as they will eat anything that tastes like meat. This, as we agree, is wrong. They also think whatever their pet will eat is good for them. The pet industry has figured out how to make things taste good to your pet. The ex still feeds Cleo Milk Bone, which is basically wheat. Dogs don't eat wheat. They likely get an allergy from it, and it messes up their digestion.

When I worked as a truck driver, I smelled the liquid leavings they make the pet food from, and it was unbearable. They transport it as a liquid, then boil and extrude it. Whatever it was it becomes something else. It's better than no food, but not by much. Someone has to then get down in the tank and clean it out after this load. This was pretty much the lowest person on the totem pole of the entire transportation industry. And people feed this to their pets.

Last edited by jana; 09-19-2017 at 10:20 PM.

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I know this is not for me, but I wouldn't euthanize the fish yet, especially since it's not acting in distress. I know the mark is getting bigger, but oftentimes injuries look thicker with scar tissue before they heal. If it is true fungus, it won't be contagious either. Unless the fish starts going downhill, can you give it a couple days with extra care and see how it looks?
    Hi Angel, my fish is doing better, thank goodness. He responded right away to the initial dose of ParaGuard I gave him. Either that, or it cleared up on its own.

I still have so much to learn, including how, when and why to euthanize. I'm glad to put that lesson off for another day!

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    One of my hunting dogs had issue after issue and I couldn't get him lined out for more than a couple weeks or a month and two years of vet visits later an ancient man we hunted with occasionally caught sight of him looked at him about 5 minutes and said you know your dog has a grain allergy right? I said no! He said yeah and get off the cedar bedding he's allergic to that too... I didn't really believe the guy but swapped out the beds and next bag of food I made 100% grain free it was an immediate difference in him. I took him to the vet for shots a few months later and the vet said how great he looked and ask which vet figured it out and what it was lol when I told him who and how we got it figured out he laughed and said if he'd have known I knew that old guy he'd have sent me his way he pins dog illnesses like a psychic. I fed a quality food but now all my animals are grain free and my vet bills are literally annual check ups and my old lady dogs thyroid stuff. Very glad your ex finally came around he'll notice a difference soon enough!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    One of my hunting dogs had issue after issue and I couldn't get him lined out for more than a couple weeks or a month and two years of vet visits later an ancient man we hunted with occasionally caught sight of him looked at him about 5 minutes and said you know your dog has a grain allergy right? I said no! He said yeah and get off the cedar bedding he's allergic to that too... I didn't really believe the guy but swapped out the beds and next bag of food I made 100% grain free it was an immediate difference in him. I took him to the vet for shots a few months later and the vet said how great he looked and ask which vet figured it out and what it was lol when I told him who and how we got it figured out he laughed and said if he'd have known I knew that old guy he'd have sent me his way he pins dog illnesses like a psychic. I fed a quality food but now all my animals are grain free and my vet bills are literally annual check ups and my old lady dogs thyroid stuff. Very glad your ex finally came around he'll notice a difference soon enough!
    Yes I'm looking forward to a happier doggy!

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Jana, please be alright.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667