· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    The Corys, Amanos and assassins all loved the Community Fish Omnivore Repashy. But the Tetras acted like they could smell it, but they couldn't find it or figure out how to eat it. Or they decided they didn't like it. I tried mashing it into soft balls before dropping in, and taking tiny bits and dropping them in. Tetras ignored them.

Is there another kind for carnivorous fish I don't know about?
    ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

29g planted freshwater tank
    AC70 HOB
    Satellite Pro LED 24-36 20W 20-LEDs (14-6500K 6-RGBW)
    Tahitian Moon Sand w/some Flourite

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"
    "Hey, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss."
    "If it sounds like a fact, it is a fact."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

Default Fish fungus?

0 Not allowed!
    I am researching the disease/cure now, but thought I'd get a post up about this right away.

I added some shrimp and new plants yesterday. Today one of my Aphyocharax anisitsi/Bloodfin Tetras has an opaque cream/whitish stripe on its lower body just above the caudal fin. I believe this area is called the caudal peduncle.

I think(?) I also see a little dark spot at the bottom of this area, closest to the caudal fin.

The fish is acting normal, and does not seem to be in distress.

I have on hand: Prazipro, Paraguard, and API General Cure.

This was the best photo I could come up with. I can try again if we need a more clear photo.

Thanks.

Pic - 35.png

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Fungus infection

1 Not allowed!
    I have found ParaGuard--which I have at hand--listed as a treatment for fungus on multiple sites/threads, so I started daily treatment at recommended dose.

I found ParaGuard on the lists of medications that are safe for shrimp.

I appreciate help from anyone who has more questions or suggestions.

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I had a similar issue with a shipment of fish. I used a combination of Mela fix and Pima fix and saved the last few. In my case though it was a final symptom of a different huge issue. I mention it only because if the fish gets ill I'd immediately remove the fish in case there's something else contagious. It was my only experience ever with fungal issues though so I'm a bit paranoid.

I have grown very very fond of Paraguard though after having done some research on it. I'd absolutely try it, it's gentle and effective, doesn't hurt your BB and is as far as I can tell safe for everything including fry that I've left in the tank dosing for ich! Great stuff in my opinion!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear you are stressing about your bloodfin. I wish I knew how to help you, but usually leave the medicating up to more experienced members, medication is not something to use without knowledge and attention.

But I will say it's a great sign he's not showing any distress. This is my amature advice, but from what I've seen on other threads, ParaGuard seems like a good med, I think you've found a good one. Good for you for doing all that research :)

Paraguard also has some antibacterial properties, so I hope it helps your little bloodfin tetra. I remember paraguard is to be dosed every 24 hours, so it's easy to maintain a dose even if you are doing lots of WCs. Good luck and if there's a better med to use, I really hope someone pops in soon!

I do want to say that I don't reach for meds everytime I see something wrong. Sometimes, what you are seeing (not so clear pic though) could be irratation from injury and just heal on its own. For ex. One of my gold tetras had this cyst on its side when I got back from being away and the tank was overfed. Water conditions were not at their greatest. The cyst popped on its own, and never got infected, all I did was add an IAL and keep the tank very clean with WCs and filter cleaning. I did add StressCoat now that I think of it, but clean water really goes a long way as well.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-18-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Stress coat is about all i use a basic topical medication. Always found it to improve the fish's slime coat when there is a basic bit of slime damage.

Anything beyond that i watch very careful for further evidence before medicating.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I had a similar issue with a shipment of fish. I used a combination of Mela fix and Pima fix and saved the last few. In my case though it was a final symptom of a different huge issue. I mention it only because if the fish gets ill I'd immediately remove the fish in case there's something else contagious. It was my only experience ever with fungal issues though so I'm a bit paranoid.

I have grown very very fond of Paraguard though after having done some research on it. I'd absolutely try it, it's gentle and effective, doesn't hurt your BB and is as far as I can tell safe for everything including fry that I've left in the tank dosing for ich! Great stuff in my opinion!

Hi, thanks for the reply and info!

So far it is only the one fish that appears to have the problem.

It is a little more off white today, so I thought maybe it's responding to the treatment. But when I look closely, it seems to be slightly thicker, which I guess would happen with fungus. The dark spot below also seems a little more pronounced.

He still shows no other signs of illness.

So you would choose to euthenize the one fish immediately? I don't have a QT tank to move the fish to. It's unpleasant, but I will do it if it is best. I used to have to euthenize half-dead birds, mice, lizards and such because of my cats when I lived in the mountains. I never got used to it, but I knew I was saving them from a long drawn out death.

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Update on good dog food for my dog Cleo

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jana View Post
    And he feeds her Old Roy canned dog food. Gar!!!!!!!!! It's the Walmart generic. And... he gives her milk bone treats all day.

Attachment 53233

This is a photo of Cleo when she was a young adult and I chose her dog food.

Reporting in on the dog food problem with the ex. He is finally buying her some quality wet food in addition to her good kibbles (Bil-Jac)!! I'm so happy. I think he's starting to face the fact she's going to die eventually. He blocks out existential stuff (don't we all). So he's making some changes.

Success!!

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Stress coat is about all i use a basic topical medication. Always found it to improve the fish's slime coat when there is a basic bit of slime damage.

Anything beyond that i watch very careful for further evidence before medicating.
    Thanks Mac, I value your experience and advice. Doing another water test, and going to LFS now to buy Stress Coat.

I guess running the situation by more experienced folks is more important than starting treatment right away. Learned something new!
    Last edited by jana; 09-18-2017 at 09:58 PM.

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jana View Post
    Reporting in on the dog food problem with the ex. He is finally buying her some quality wet food in addition to her good kibbles (Bil-Jac)!! I'm so happy. I think he's starting to face the fact she's going to die eventually. He blocks out existential stuff (don't we all). So he's making some changes.

Success!!
    Very happy to hear he finally saw the light. Once he sees the change in her coat and overall health he will realize he made the right choice.

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast