Just for you - mac   Things will get better. - Silbar   

Default Did I kill my cycle?

0 Not allowed!
    Tested the water today:
    Ph : 6.6
    Ammonia : 0.25
    Nitrite : 0
    Nitrate : 0

Ohh no... did I kill my cycle?!?! Hrmm or is the plant load heavy enough to eat all of the nitrogen? Hrmm (water change day is in 2 days so I am not concerned about the ammonia)

Definitely had a cycle about a month ago (when I last tested I had 5ppm nitrates)

Size 10g

Tank is kept around 75-80 we have been having cold swings and sometimes the heater takes a tick to warm the water up.

Water changes are weekly about 50%

Over filtered with sponge filters.

The things that have changed since he last time I tested:

Added a large amount of plants
    And started dosing excel, flourish and some iron and potassium ty seachem.
    Also increased the time lights were on from 4h per day to about 6h.

Here are some photos:

Before

Now (the Dwarf hair grass didn't do so well haha should have done more research)

Thank you!!!

Edit: the tank has been running for just about a month. However cycled media was used to seed the tank. API quick start was also used with every water change.
    Last edited by CaptainByMoonlight; 04-19-2017 at 02:45 AM.
    5-Gallon - One lucky little yellow CT betta.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think you killed your cycle. It just changed. With your PH, that ammonia is practically ammonium. Plants will consume ammonium with no nitrate being created in the end process. Pothos will also consume nitrate pretty quickly. Just dose the tank with ammonia, and test 24 hours later. If no nitrate and very little ammonia shows up, you'll be fine.

I'm assuming that you have 0ppm nitrates in tap? If so, see what happens if you only do a 25% water change for the next couple of weeks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    I don't think you killed your cycle. It just changed. With your PH, that ammonia is practically ammonium. Plants will consume ammonium with no nitrate being created in the end process. Pothos will also consume nitrate pretty quickly. Just dose the tank with ammonia, and test 24 hours later. If no nitrate and very little ammonia shows up, you'll be fine.

I'm assuming that you have 0ppm nitrates in tap? If so, see what happens if you only do a 25% water change for the next couple of weeks.
    The OP has a betta in the tank
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Did I kill my cycle?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post

Ahh thank you that is very reassuring!
    Hrmm now I just need to pick up some ammonia? (Fingers crossed Amazon sells it!)

And yes the tap has 0 nitrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The OP has a betta in the tank
    Ahh yes I should have mentioned that! Ty for adding it :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't put ammonia in a tank with fish, lol...they make their own
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainByMoonlight View Post
    )Definitely had a cycle about a month ago (when I last tested I had 5ppm nitrates)
    So your tank as been cycled only about a month plus you transported over to your new place right?

If so it's likely just readjusting to the change so it should level out in a few days keep us posted and remember it's never to late or to early to do a water change so don't necessarily wait the 2 days :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Don't put ammonia in a tank with fish, lol...they make their own
    :0 indeed! *face palm* man haha i need more sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    So your tank as been cycled only about a month plus you transported over to your new place right?

If so it's likely just readjusting to the change so it should level out in a few days keep us posted and remember it's never to late or to early to do a water change so don't necessarily wait the 2 days :)
    Touché! Aaaaaaand the new python is supposed to arrive today ty Amazon prime so I might jump the gun on that haha!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh for sure then break in the new toy your going to be amazed how easy it's going to be

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    I cannot imagine water changes without a Python. Well worth the investment, you will have it forever!
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Oh for sure then break in the new toy your going to be amazed how easy it's going to be
    Never put the switch valve in the off position while refilling the tank. The water pressure from the faucet will cause your connection to the faucet to break. The switch valve is located near the output.

Only use the switch valve while draining from the tank.