· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Yikes that's a lot of fish in a 10g! Were there coins in the washing machine there lol? Just getting you back Matt!

I haven't kept live-bearers since I first started keeping fish, simply because tetras always did better for me, but here's a little story from my first tank:

I had serpea tetras, head and tail light, and two platys in my 27g hex. I bought a male and female platy on purpose lol. I know, I know. ..serpeas were not a good choice. I was adding some laminate flooring to the basement where the tank was setup, so I had to move it. Being new to aquariums, I emptied the tank and moved my fish temporarily to a rubbermaid bin. A day later, to my surprise, there were baby platys living in small puddles of water, unheated, at the very bottom just above the substrate. I couldn't belive they were all alive! They lived to be adult platies :)
    LOL, yeah, it was a nightmare...we'd bring 30 or 40 to the LFS, and in a few weeks, we had to do it over again...I think we made 3 or 4 trips...it got old fast

We also let a mstery snail clutch hatch in there, too, there were tons of them...crashed the ph in the tank with all of those shells sucking the calcium out of the water column

That's hilarious about the platys in the puddles...they're tough fish, that's for sure
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your fry.
    Your plants are beautiful!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Waylon, congrats on your orange platy fry.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    LOL, yeah, it was a nightmare...we'd bring 30 or 40 to the LFS, and in a few weeks, we had to do it over again...I think we made 3 or 4 trips...it got old fast

We also let a mstery snail clutch hatch in there, too, there were tons of them...crashed the ph in the tank with all of those shells sucking the calcium out of the water column

That's hilarious about the platys in the puddles...they're tough fish, that's for sure
    Oh wow, I never thought of snails sucking all the calcium out! I see why some aquarists hate them!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Snails are fine, just not 50-60 of them growing up in a 10G tank, lol

That was an extraordinary "pull" on the calcium from the water column....I'll have to look through the old vids and find one of the snail babies crawling everywhere

Waylon, sorry for the thread jack, we're done now

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Snails are fine, just not 50-60 of them growing up in a 10G tank, lol

That was an extraordinary "pull" on the calcium from the water column....I'll have to look through the old vids and find one of the snail babies crawling everywhere

Waylon, sorry for the thread jack, we're done now
    Its fine lol! Community is why I love it here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    And you are a valued member , glad to have you aboard.

So...are you ready for all of the platys like I had, LOL

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    With all the lush plants in here, I would be shocked if there aren't more platy fry in here already. Perhaps you just haven't spotted them yet -- that's what I'm thinking, anyhow.
    It is wonderful that your lfs will likely give you some store credit for some, once they are grown out. You get to keep some, trade some... I hope you do enjoy this whole process.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    To be honest I love the humble Platy. And intend to breed them selectively.

But it's the endless supply of fry that buggs me. Probably okay if you have a few fish big enough to eat the fry in a separate tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    To be honest I love the humble Platy. And intend to breed them selectively.

But it's the endless supply of fry that buggs me. Probably okay if you have a few fish big enough to eat the fry in a separate tank.
    Agreed! One day once im out of this apartment I want a larger cichlid (green terror, dovii, red devil)