· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help diagnose my guppies? / cure?

0 Not allowed!
    Tank Size/Stocking/Parameters:
    20g
    0 amonia/nitrite/about 5 nitrate or less (API test kit)
    3 dwarf frogs, 2 snails, 2 ghost shrimp, 3 guppies
    Feeding the guppies fish flakes/plus they much on the frog's frozen bloodworms
    Hang on the back tetra whisper filter
    Heater pre-set/keeping water at 78-80 degrees
    Low-light plants in the tank

I think my guppies have been showing signs of parasites in their gills. Here are their symptoms:

- Rubbing face/gills on pants/gravel (this has been true since I got my guppies, actually. But just in my male at first)
    - Lethargic (my female has been towards the bottom here/there). At first I thought maybe she was at the bottom to have her fry, but I think it's more that she's not feeling well. It could be both? It's been a little off/on.
    - Lowered top fin (mostly just one of my females, the same one staying around the bottom. And it's not constant but more frequent than usual, I think)

After I completed a water change, the female was hanging out by the filter at lot, possibly because there is more oxygen there if her gills do have some ich or something in them?

My male guppy has been flaring or some goofy dance at the side of the tank a lot. I think it might be at his reflection, though? He shows off to my lady guppies quite a lot, too.

I've read a lot about ich over the past week (earlier when they were rubbing on gravel, and again after I had the female with ich for a short period of time in the tank) and it doesn't seem like it's easy (or even possible?) to treat them within the same tank as the frogs/snails/shrimp because they're less tolerant to salt or ich medicine (tho the meds don't seem great for the tank, anyways). Heat might be an option but I'll have to check on more articles/sites first to see if all my critters can handle it/where to set it. Perhaps I could add an air stone or something to add oxygen to the tank for their struggling gills, too.

My other option would be to get a hospital tank, but I have a really tight budget right now. I didn't expect to buy another tank and would really prefer not to. I've been really careful about anything I add to the tank and examining tanks/fish first before buying since I don't have a quarantine tank. Perhaps I would have caught the signs in the other guppy before I brought it home if the female guppy tank wasn't up quite so high/hard to see :P

I'm not sure that I can narrow it down to ich without seeing spots on my guppies, though? Could it be something else?

My current heater is pre-set at 78 degrees and has been staying at that temp, so if I do treat with heat I'll have to get a new heater. (Recommendations on an adjustable would be pretty great as I've read a lot of scary reviews on heaters exploding/shattering/leaking/etc and would love to know which ones have worked out best for everyone w/o problems.)
    * 20 Gallon Aquarium Journal *
    (ADF, shrimp, guppies, snails)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Moved to the fish diseases section for more/better responses
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Moved to the fish diseases section for more/better responses
    Thank youu! :) I wasn't sure the best place as I'm still getting acquainted with the forum and I appreciate it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You're very welcome.

I have very little knowledge of diseases/treatment, but those who do look at this section often.

You don't see any visible spots on the fish themselves, that look like tiny grains of salt, do you?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Could be a number of possibilities far as what parasite it could or couldn't be so a nice broad spectrum medication that is safe on beneficial bacteria is paraguard from seachem. Now I have treated it on snails and shrimp however idk about the dwarf frogs you will have to research that a bit.

Also the goofy dance the male guppy is doing its all normal haha just showing off and being territorial with the guppy in the mirror.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Male guppies are show offs and based on birth rates the guppy chicks seem to dig it lol. That's normal and be happy he is still doing it. It can be hard to diagnose in time. A broad spectrum med is a good option since we often don't really know what is wrong soon enough. If that isn't handy today, turning up the heat a few degrees to the lower 80s and adding some salt can shake out some parasites if that happens to be what is wrong. You can't save them all. Some diseases are just fatal no matter what you do and that's how it is unfortunately.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    If it is ich, your whole tank is compromised. I don't know if snails or frogs can carry ich, and if they can't, then they would be the ones to move out of the main tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You're very welcome.

I have very little knowledge of diseases/treatment, but those who do look at this section often.

You don't see any visible spots on the fish themselves, that look like tiny grains of salt, do you?
    No signs of any spots at all, and I've been staring at them for quite a while looking for them, haha.
    And they've been rubbing their gills for about 2 weeks now so I'd imagine they'd appear by now?
    The occasional rub on a plant was the only symptom I saw until recently, where my female guppies especially have been somewhat lethargic, so I started digging around/reading more.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Could be a number of possibilities far as what parasite it could or couldn't be so a nice broad spectrum medication that is safe on beneficial bacteria is paraguard from seachem. Now I have treated it on snails and shrimp however idk about the dwarf frogs you will have to research that a bit.

Also the goofy dance the male guppy is doing its all normal haha just showing off and being territorial with the guppy in the mirror.

I'll have to do some digging / see if this would be safe with the frogs. Thanks! :)
    Also, good to know. n_n

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Male guppies are show offs and based on birth rates the guppy chicks seem to dig it lol. That's normal and be happy he is still doing it. It can be hard to diagnose in time. A broad spectrum med is a good option since we often don't really know what is wrong soon enough. If that isn't handy today, turning up the heat a few degrees to the lower 80s and adding some salt can shake out some parasites if that happens to be what is wrong. You can't save them all. Some diseases are just fatal no matter what you do and that's how it is unfortunately.
    tehe, oh good.

Looks like I might have to invest in a heater that I can change the temp on, aha.

And that makes sense. I can imagine sometimes you can do everything right and some are going to have some type of problem anyways that you can't figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    If it is ich, your whole tank is compromised. I don't know if snails or frogs can carry ich, and if they can't, then they would be the ones to move out of the main tank.
    Hmm, hope it's not that, then.

From what I read, it sounds like shrimp/frogs might be able to have something on them if the tank they were from had it, but it won't effect them.
    And the ich needs a host that it can affect. So to my understanding, if I took my fish out long enough the ich in the tank would die and I wouldn't have to worry about moving the frogs/shrimp or them passing it on anymore. However, it would also require me to treat them in a different tank in that case which I'd like to avoid if possible.