· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Need Stocking Help and Ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Need stocking ideas for Cichlids. If Compatible, I'd like at add a pair of Angels also. Looking for colorful and active middle swimmers.

60Gal wide, Temp is steady at 78F, PH steady at 7.4, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20. Running 1 Marineland Penguin350 HOB filter, but am adding another of the exact same of filter tomorrow afternoon. I have a set of small rocks and also getting a good sized medium/large rock tomorrow afternoon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Hey there,

Just to clarify are you referring to stocking list for cichlids in the context of the cichlids being the angles? Or other Cichlids to go with the Angles?? Also are you keeping the Angles as a pair male female?
    For me a angle tank with a decent school of larger tetras would set of a 60g quite well in filling out the middle region of the tank. A group of Corydoras over 8 would fit in perfectly.
    Is your tank planted or just rock scape??

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Hey there,

Just to clarify are you referring to stocking list for cichlids in the context of the cichlids being the angles? Or other Cichlids to go with the Angles?? Also are you keeping the Angles as a pair male female?
    For me a angle tank with a decent school of larger tetras would set of a 60g quite well in filling out the middle region of the tank. A group of Corydoras over 8 would fit in perfectly.
    Is your tank planted or just rock scape??
    I'm sorry, I should've worded that better. I meant other Cichlids to go with the Angels. Which breeds, if any, would be compatible with Angels.
    It's not a sure thing that I'll get Angels, but if I do, I would like for them to be Male/Female.
    It's mostly hardscape, and I have 5 Amazon Swords I believe is the name, in different areas of the tank (forgive me about the name).
    Mainly wanting to get an idea of how many cichlids can be stocked in a 60Gal. As well as compatibility ideas.
    Interested in Jack Dempseys, Electric Blue Rams and others along those lines.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I know rams are often a common choice to house with angels. I had a pair years ago with my angels but lost them during a 2 day power outage we had during a storm and never replaced them. I now have only one angel with rummy nose tetras and cories.

I think the main problem that may arise is aggression if one pair start breeding - either the angels or the rams. But with sufficient territories and coverage even that may be minimized. I have no experience with other cichlids, like jack dempseys however, so hopefully someone else will chime in with their experiences.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    A pair Jack Dempseys will protect a territory of 4 x 4 x 4, so they will tear up your angels. Even a single JD would do that.

I would opt out for more hardy bolivian rams than the EBR. With cichlids there will also be territorial aggression, and the EBR could get stressed out so much by a pair of breeding angels, that they will get sick.

I would get 6-10 angels and allow them to pair up naturally, and then rehome the rest. If you try to force a pair, you may end up with a dead angel.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I know rams are often a common choice to house with angels. I had a pair years ago with my angels but lost them during a 2 day power outage we had during a storm and never replaced them. I now have only one angel with rummy nose tetras and cories.

I think the main problem that may arise is aggression if one pair start breeding - either the angels or the rams. But with sufficient territories and coverage even that may be minimized. I have no experience with other cichlids, like jack dempseys however, so hopefully someone else will chime in with their experiences.
    So would a few Rams, pair of Angelsp, and a big school of Tetras be ok (considering my PH)? By a few, I'm thinking 4 females and 1 male Ram.
    Don't want to over stock.
    I also picked up that other Penguin350 HOB filter earlier, so that's up and running. I also found a large cichlid cave for cheaper than the large rock i wanted. So tank is ready to go, just need the fish.