· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you're doing your research! - Rue   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

Default Male German ram is a bit of a jerk!

0 Not allowed!
    A few weeks ago I started a tank over with a male and female German Blue Ram. I do believe they are male and female because one has a reddish belly with a few blue marks on the black spot, the other does not. As best as I can tell; first time with rams, they seem to be doing well. They seem to prefer the worm options rather than any pellet or flake despite their size. When we initially got them in the tank they both were in hiding for a day or so then started to be more adventurous. It was at that point the male started chasing the female and from what I read that was kind of normal. Then things calmed down, he might get somewhat aggressive if there was food but otherwise left her alone. But recently he has upped his game and is going after her quite a bit. He will even seek her our in other parts of the tank which I thought was odd. So is this normal? Should I try to do something to do something? Would adding more fish help? Right now it is just the two rams in a 29g tank and they are only about 1.5" to 1.75".

Oh and water is good, 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrate is barely above 0. They seem active, color is good and I don't see any spots or lesions like she might be getting sick and no rubbing on surfaces.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Add a few more females to spread out his attention

Also dither fish like a school of smaller tetra/characin can work to keep things calm maybe some glow light tetra or dwarf pencil fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you're doing your research! - Rue   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    We were planning to get some corries, would that help or are they too low in the tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    As Joe suggested, I'd get something for the upper levels of the tank and leave the bottom to the Rams for now, especially if you add another female or two. If they start to breed, they may very well harass others on the bottom, such as cories.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will start looking for some top schoolers. But I do have a question that might be related. How often should I be feeding them? So far they prefer tubifex and bloodworms but will eat some flake as well. This morning I was reading articles on GBR and most just mention type of food, one specifically said to feed 2-3 times a day! I am not doing that and if they need that I started to think he could be aggressive since food wasn't plentiful. But that seems crazy and likely to foul the water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Not sure if you were reading on how to induce spawning usually feeding small amounts of live food will help.

However typically only feed once a day and bloodworms or any other frozen food once a week. What I usually do is feed Monday-Friday skip Saturday ( it's healthy to fast your fish for a day or two naturally in the wild they would seldom ever go everyday with food). So on Sunday I feed the live/frozen as a treat/supplement. Also have you tried some quality pellets like New life spectrum,cobalt,ken's or hikari they pack a nice nutritious profile and are more suited for rams since they are geophagus (earth eater . They eat by grazing the bottom taking in mouthfuls of sand/detritus sifting for edibles

Could you post a picture of the tank layout
    aggression could be fix by creating more territory and creating more breaks in the fishes line of sight
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 04-02-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Great suggestions above :) I had your exact problem with my EBRs. (2 different pairs) I called him a jerk too lol, in my journal! The male chased the female relentlessly, to the point she hardly had a rest. Providing a cave or area to retreat and hide in can help, but those ram males are so intrusive, they can barge right in. For me it didn't matter how many mazes or caves I had, the male still went after the female constantly to the point it was unhealthy, and I ultimately lost my female to stress and injury. I indroduced 3 more female GBRs a few months later and he is much better, occasionally chasing, but with the 3, he can't pick on just one. Now, the tank they are in now is much larger than yours, so it would be best to have lots of territory divisions if you add more rams to your setup. The dither fish helped, but didn't stop the EBR male from chasing that EBR female to death (in my case), hopefully it would help better for you.

When I first started keeping rams, I read that they were best kept in pairs. But it's not what I've noticed after keeping them for a few years. My first pair was in a 46g, they bred every 2 months, and still, I feel the female was chased too much. Chasing is definitely something I've noticed to be an issue with rams.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-02-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here is where I read 2-3 times a day: http://meethepet.com/mikrogeophagus-...e-ram-cichlid/

There are several hiding places but it seems if he sees her he gives chase. If she can stay hidden then all is OK. There is one fake plant with wide leaves that sometimes she inserts herself in. Also noticed he seems to leave her alone when the light is off even if there is still enough light for them to see. Hopefully she doesn't get too stressed from it but for now they are eating well so hopefully they will remain strong.