· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Question Please help with DIY stand for multiple tank size and weights

0 Not allowed!
    I have been looking online for good solid bare bone frame stands. I don't want to-need to make a cabinet, but a basic stand to hold an assortment of tanks-or occasionally 2 tanks-side by side.

Looking trough a bunch a different builds I see people stricture the "legs" differently.

1. Some use a big beefy fence post type lumber and attach it on the inside corners of the top and bottom frames on all corners and screw the heck of it. Additional posts in the center (or thirds) depending on how long the stand is.

1a. Same deal but using a thinner 2x4 or 2x6 on the inside posts from 1/2" from the top frame to the bottom frame.

2. Shorter leg attached from the bottom edge of the top frame to the top edge of the bottom frame.

3. Similar to what Matt shows on his sketchup 3-D design with the one leg on the inside and two structural legs on the outside fitting under the top frame and bottom frames.

standsopt.jpg

Also when measuring for these do you go with the aquarium LxW exactly or do you have to add/subtract?

I will be building stands for the following tanks, not cabinets I am planning on just frames with center supports as needed both vertically and horizontally in the top an bottom frames:

-one for a 125 gallon Aqueon tank

- one for two 75 gallon tanks sitting side by side

-one for a 40 B

- one for two 30 gallon tanks sitting side by side

-one for two 20L tanks sitting side by side

-one for 3 ten gallon tanks sitting side by side

I can plywood the tops for the tanks on the multiple tanks but was thinking if I frame the top and bottom as it it was sized for the tanks so that the trims rest directly on either the frame or center supports, the tanks should be good.

mltpltnkstnds.jpg

I am a total and utter noob at this and would not be offended if you explain like you would to a kinder-gardener, lol.

I was also thinking of having the dimensions and getting the hardware store to cut everything for me...think that's a good idea? I do have a bandsaw at home-but it may be relocating to Florida.

also I have heard deck screws are the best option for this and I know pre-drilling is a must-does recessing the screw heads matter a lot with deck screws or if I am painting it with a couple coats of black paint, will it cover the screws up?

Thanks in advance for help and any plans, sorry for the images if they are more confusing than descriptive. This will be coming up sooner than I will be ready for it.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    4x4 post construction is extreme overkill. 2X construction lumber will support an incredible amount of vertical load. "Racking" is what you have to eliminate. It can't flex side to side or the joinery/fasteners are then stressed. Take a look at a store bought aquarium stand. Affordable ones are built from pure junk but strong enough. Plywood adds an incredible amount of stability. There will be no real need to pre-drill fasteners if you are building a "utility" look. Coated deck screws will sink into plywood or pine construction lumber well enough for a painted stand. A tube of paintable caulk and a putty knife and you can do some quick "body work" before you paint. It will look nice after you prime and paint.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 03-27-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize, I didn't read close enough to notice the size of some of the tanks. If you want to make completely open shelves with no sheeting the fasteners are going to have to be very secure. I would skip the screws on the main structural joints and use carriage bolts with nuts and washers. You will have to drill for those. Mock it up with screws and then add the carriage bolts. You can still use 2X lumber but you probably need 2x8s for the horizontal support on the larger tanks, and a center vertical support. Two 75Gs side buy side is an 8ft run. The smaller tanks would not require nearly such big lumber. Some sheeting on the side would take the guesswork out of racking issues. Roof sheathing is cheap if you are trying to keep the cost down.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 03-27-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So just a lumber frame isn't secure enough? Even with multiple sections in the top and bottom framing and center verticle supports?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Was thinking something like this-would that be enough sheer support on the side?

082646F1-BD91-4C72-AD67-01B043BAC218-1128-0000003E4FF0814B.jpg

Been looking everywhere for ideas and some are more descriptive than others. Being very green in the area of construction (I mean I have nailed and screwed stuff together but never built stuff from scratch like this before-that will support 1400 pounds of water/substrate).
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Nat, just a suggestion but I would use all framing lumber for the whole frame and support. 2x4, 2x6 with plywood on the end which should help the frame from twisting. Shelving board or other 1 x whatever is ok for facing but not support.

The example is your picture would be fine if all 2x4s and 6s were used for the frame.
    Last edited by Taurus; 03-28-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Boundava. Yes that looks perfectly fine. The sheeting on the side adds an incredible amount of strength. That could be glued and screwed. Don't underestimate the power of glue. I am a woodworking hobbyist. I build clocks, hall tables etc. You would be amazed how strong glue is. I have tested joints by using woodworking glue (Titebond II for example), add a few brads nails to hold it while it dries. You can beat it on the concrete driveway and it will bust somewhere other than the joint everytime. Construction 2X is VERY strong on a vertical load. You could hold one end of your car off the ground with a 2x4. Using 2x6s just makes it easier and the construction doesn't have to be so perfect. They only cost a couple bucks more than a 2x4 for an 8 footer.

Open shelves without sheeting is much more challenging. Things need to be square and strong fasteners to prevent racking. You could build what you pictured using 1X boards with perfect cuts and tight joints. 2X gives you some margin of error for less than perfect construction.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 03-28-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Nat, just a suggestion but I would use all framing lumber for the whole frame and support. 2x4, 2x6 with plywood on the end which should help the frame from twisting. Shelving board or other 1 x whatever is ok for facing but not support.

The example is your picture would be fine if all 2x4s and 6s were used for the frame.
    Agreed.............
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was just planning on making an open frame stand, I didn't really want to face it with anything. Let me see if I can find an example... ok no examples, but this is what I was thinking. I would still need plywood on the two ends to keep the frame from twisting?

DIY.jpg

Sorry for the poor drawing, I have no rulers or pencils at work-just an old business card and black pens (well blue pens too but looking for contrast)...lol, I would obviously make it straight
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That would work fine with good cuts. You can always add sheeting later if it appears necessary. You'll know then the aquariums are half full and you check for movement.