· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Boundava. Yes that looks perfectly fine. The sheeting on the side adds an incredible amount of strength. That could be glued and screwed. Don't underestimate the power of glue. I am a woodworking hobbyist. I build clocks, hall tables etc. You would be amazed how strong glue is. I have tested joints by using woodworking glue (Titebond II for example), add a few brads nails to hold it while it dries. You can beat it on the concrete driveway and it will bust somewhere other than the joint everytime. Construction 2X is VERY strong on a vertical load. You could hold one end of your car off the ground with a 2x4. Using 2x6s just makes it easier and the construction doesn't have to be so perfect. They only cost a couple bucks more than a 2x4 for an 8 footer.

Open shelves without sheeting is much more challenging. Things need to be square and strong fasteners to prevent racking. You could build what you pictured using 1X boards with perfect cuts and tight joints. 2X gives you some margin of error for less than perfect construction.
    I was going to stick with 2x4 and 2x6 for the builds, especially since two of the stands will hold a 125 and the other one will hold two 75 gallon tanks.

Now I measure my boards (minus the addition of the board's thickness itself- 1.5") to match the dimensions of the tanks, correct? Sorry if it a stupid question but I like to cover all of the obvious bases.

If it winds up looking too "cage-like" I may just go with sheeting on the back and sides instead.
    Last edited by Boundava; 03-28-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    The outer edge of a tank stand top should match the dimensions of the bottom trim, correct.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! Have to see if harbor freight has any deals on band saws. Laura also said she would help me (miss her posts, i am sure she lurks though)...I may take her up on that for my first build-but who knows she is so busy I hate bothering her.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The outer edge of a tank stand top should match the dimensions of the bottom trim, correct.
    This^ is especially critical for the heaviest tanks. From what I have seen on the web some go just a bit larger and add a trim board. You definitely don't want them way larger as the tank is now riding on the shelving and less on the structure. Shelving is actually strong, but you are talking about extreme duty here for the larger tanks. We aren't building some light weight knick Knack shelves. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

2 Not allowed!
    As you know I just went through this. I never built a stand before. the bottom line is, YOU have be okay with it, you don't want in the back off your mind, did I make it strong enough? Mac said it best, It is better to over build then under build, just like filtering.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Thanks guys! Have to see if harbor freight has any deals on band saws. Laura also said she would help me (miss her posts, i am sure she lurks though)...I may take her up on that for my first build-but who knows she is so busy I hate bothering her.
    home depot and menards will cut to size for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I hope they are accurate...but that is good news-thanks!
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    A cheap 12" miter saw is what you want. Also called a "chop saw" by some. A very handy tool for a home owner. Hobby projects, cutting trim etc. Pick up a cheap 6" carpenter/roofing square and you can adjust it to cut a nice 90 degree angle. I don't use many electric tools from HF. If you go that route keep the receipt and use the heck out of it the first few days so you can return it if necessary. Generally speaking if an electric tools lasts a few days, it will likely live a few years. I have literally had electric tools from HF last about 10 minutes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Really...then I will stick to Home Depot or Menards for the tools if I need them. Dad is a tool & die machinist and engineer, has a lot of woodworking tools (saws, drills, sanders...etc.) as well as levels and squares. He is just moving to sunny Florida so I dunno what-if anything, he will leave behind. He may leave it all and come back for it in 6 months-or he may pack it all with him...he doesn't even know, lol.

By the way-anyone need a drafting table...he has 2. Lol.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Was thinking something like this-would that be enough sheer support on the side?

Attachment 51260
    I like this one the best, so I think its what I will go with. Some 1" sheeting on the sides should work with a good internal frame like this (with a couple more vertical supports like in the photo;

fce6ecec76ef03d630683d879aeba7fb.jpg

Thanks for the piece of mind guys, I will start with the 10 gallon tank stand first.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore