· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corals

Default Corals

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 39g salt water tank with a florescent lamp, and a preset heater. Looking for some advise so I can have some corals. Mainly anemones and similar. Thanks in advance

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I will give this a bump for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck cycling your first tank - Silbar   Good luck with the cycle. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish. - Slaphppy7   Here's a much safer crayfish to keep. - Slaphppy7   For your hitchhiker. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Hey there welcome to the AC!

This is a great community, and the folks here have helped me out immensely on both the FW and the SW side. I'm about 2.5 months into a 32gal SW build, and added my 3rd and 4th frags yesterday, so we're pretty well lined up. (A lovely hardy GSP frag, and some really cool looking orange zoa's)

Are you currently stocking anything? What's your filtration look like? Live rock? Are you thinking species specific -- clown+aneomones, or mixed reef? 30g will present some challenges on the mixed reef side with anemones as far as the other corals you can keep -- you'll need to be mindful of compatiblity issues, since you'll have stinging critters in your tank :) I haven't kept anemones yet but have friends who do, and see them at the store often.

I have a thread on here under 'Beginning Saltwater' that might be helpful, and I'll help out in any way I can. For me the keys have been patience, filtration, good salt mix (I use pre-mixed from my LFS for now; I find doing 5g a week it'll take a while before I can justify a RO/DI setup at home!), and good water flow. And you don't have to break the bank on any of it if you don't want to. A skimmer helps, Live Rock is key for a reef aquarium, and a good maintenance schedule. I'm not even sure you need a heater depending on where you are in the world; I stopped running mine a few weeks ago and it never dips below 78.

1 Not allowed!
    I have some love rock. Currently I only have fish, 2 clowns and 2 cardinals. I have a fluval canister filter. I was thinking of anemones and similar soft corals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck cycling your first tank - Silbar   Good luck with the cycle. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish. - Slaphppy7   Here's a much safer crayfish to keep. - Slaphppy7   For your hitchhiker. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    That's great, how long has the tank been established? Sounds like your filtration is good, you have good bacteria in your cannister and your live rock. How bright are your lights? Corals need a LOT of light.

How often are you doing water changes (WC's)? What kind of salt mix are you using, or are you buying your water pre-mixed? Do you currently have a test kit for Calcium and Mg? How 'bout good fish stores in your area? Many will test your water for free.

I bring up calcium levels and water changes since waterborne calcium (and magnesium and other trace elements) are important for coral growth, and the primary source will be from the salt mix introduced by regular WC's.

What does your flow look like? Are you running any powerheads? Corals also need good water flow. You don't need to break the bank here; I went with the Chinese Jaebo PP-4 which set me back approx $40 on Amazon.

From what I understand, anemones can be challenging to keep since they move around so much and can grow large, and can also be hostile to tankmates. Would you consider starting with some easier soft corals first, and then the anemone later once your reef is better established? You could possibly get the visual effect you're looking for without the anemone complexity. Still don't let me discourage you, I'd just try my hand with a soft frag first before committing to a whole anemone.

From an article I found online:

"Anemonefishes will also wallow among the tentacles of certain soft corals (e.g., Anthelia, Sarcophyton, Xenia) and zoanthids. They may even adopt mushroom anemones (corallimorpharians) as a host, especially those that are “hairy” (i.e., have tentacles on the disc). As with stony corals, they usually do not harm these cnidarians."

Something like this could be a nice alternative:

https://reefcorner.com/reef-database...x/sarcophyton/

0 Not allowed!
    I just installed canister filter this week. I buy the salt water from my fish store. I don't want to mess around mixing it my self. As far as light, I have a florescent, the one that came with my tank. I change water once a month, and my fish store tests my water .
    Oh and by the way, All this is great info, thank you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Great, so you have good water. How much are you changing out once a month? On my 32g tank, I change ~5g (1 tote full) a week, and find this to work well. Would you consider smaller, more frequent water changes? (I use fish store water too)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some testing kits. I was turned on to the RedSea test kits which are great, but the API's are a bit easier/faster to use. I'd probably order whatever your LFS is using. That way you can get a good reading in between visits to the fish store.

If the store is convenient, though, I'd ask them to test for your Alk, Ca, and Mg and report those back.

Are you doing anything for waterflow beyond the return from the canister filter? If not, I'd suggest investing in a powerhead first, since coral needs flow.

On the lights, do you still have the packaging by any chance? You're looking for a PAR value (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) -- basically you want to make sure the light is strong enough to grow coral.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Isaac -

Saw this video this morning and thought of your quest for anemone's. Pretty cool; local reefer had his nem move to the other side of the tank and had to trick it into moving back. Looks like a lot of fun to wrangle 'nem's.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you that was a great video. In your opinion what would be some good beginner corals to start with?

0 Not allowed!
    Im not sure how to use or navigate this app haha. I'm thinking of getting some power heads to encourage flow, how many GPH should the power head be for a 40g reef tank? Or does it matter?