· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

Default HOB Filter - Marineland Bio Wheel vs. Aqua Clear

0 Not allowed!
    Just need some opinions from people with HOB experience. I'm pretty sure I like the Aqua Clear better. Easier to clean, no filter cartridge and room for Bio media. I currently have both of these filters in their smaller capacity versions. But does Aqua Clear do a better job filtering than a Marineland Bio-Wheel? I'm comparing the model of each with a 70 Gallon capacity. As always Thanks in advance for all opinions, knowledge and experience using these HOB filters.

AquaClear-70-Aquarium-Filter-AquaClear-A615.jpgp-19800-FS64898K-fish.jpg
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    (Angel Fish, Gold Severum, Black Neons, Cory Cats, Cherry Barbs)
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    For my money the Aquaclear is far better filter Dino.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Agreed.

What do you mean by "better job filtering", however?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I meant sucking power and getting any debris that goes close to it. The only thing I don't like about the Aqua Clear is the take up tubes. In order to make them longer, you have to put 2 or 3 together and the bottom strainer on each is built into the tube and does not come off. Sometimes a lot of debris gets stuck on these strainer pieces. Yea I think the Aqua Clear is till the way to go. Thanks for helping guys.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Haven't I showed you these before?

http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not quite sure how that solves the problem. The holes seem very small and look like they prevent large particles from being sucked up. Maybe with smaller fish that might work. Care to elaborate?
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's easier to remove and clean these than it is with the entire PU tube.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think Aqua Clear Take up tube should be shaped more like that then the current point design.
    Thanks.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Emperors are "ok" and I always modify the filter media to almost entirely biomedia in mesh bags.

So the vote goes to Aquaclear since its ready to go with proper media

another side note is my old emperor sounded like a cement mixer even after numerous cleanings and disassembly/reassembly

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I also the love the aquaclears for filtration, ease of cleaning and ability to pack with media that lasts "forever". I use the stainless steel prefilters from Hans. I just remove and clean weekly. They also last a very long time and they keep the debris from going in the filter and easy to clean.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie