· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Color Bonanza

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura_in_FL View Post
    Lovely, just lovely.

As I was looking at the picture, something felt off to me, though. It took me a minute to realize what it was...you have lilies and snapdragons growing and blooming at the same time! By the time lilies bloom here, the snapdragons are done for due to the heat. Snapdragons are a cool season plant here. We plant them in the fall and early spring; in mild years I've seen snapdragons blooming all winter.

The lilies and snaps sure are pretty together, though.
    Our growing season is too short to sow Snapdragons from seed. So, I purchase them well developed and already budding and/or blooming, and transplant them carefully, as Snaps are fussy about having their roots disturbed. Then I water them well and frequently in well-drained soil. I deadhead spent blooms regularly. That way, they are blooming at the same time the lilies and other early-to-mid-season flowers are in full display. Regular deadheading of entire stems as their blossoms fade keep the Snaps putting on new flowers and makes them fuller and bushier. Even on hot summer days, regular watering in the coolness of the early morning and/or the cool of the evening keeps them from suffering during the heat of the day.

Those that sprout on their own from parent plants having dropped seeds do take much longer to mature and bloom -- and I get blooms in Fall from them.

It's a win-win situation.
    Last edited by mermaidwannabe; 03-28-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    A hot summer day in Florida is probably a wee bit different than a hot summer day in the PNW. And I suspect that our hot summer nights don't help, either.

Snaps and pansies usually start to look bad by May and usually are gone by June, no matter how well you water them. Dianthus and alyssum may last a bit longer, but they die back in summer, too. Petunias sometimes make it through the summer if well-watered, but most of them look like death warmed over in July and August. That's okay - there are plenty of flowers that love the heat.

I've never grown snaps from seed; I've only purchased transplants at the budding/blooming stage. I'm not even sure when I would start snapdragon seeds here. Maybe it would work to start them indoors in the summer to transplant outside in the fall? But at that time my seed shelf is full of brassicas and greens for the fall and winter garden. I might have to keep buying snaps as transplants until another kids moves out so I can appropriate his room for plants.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    The trick to keeping petunias looking good is to deadhead, deadhead, deadhead -- every week or more often, whenever the flowers start to fade, clip them off beneath the seed bowl -- that green section below the flower from which it originates and which holds the seeds after the flower petal drop off. Some people think that just plucking out the wilted blossoms is enough. It isn't. I keep my petunias in hanging baskets on our deck, and in large deck planters. I've given up having them in the open flowerbeds. Petunias are "supposed" to be deer resistant. Deer eat mine down to nothing. So, if I want them, I have to grow them in a protected area.

Our summers are different than those in the deep South. They can still be hot, but it's a different kind of hot. We're very close to the Canadian border up here. Most of my Snaps stay nice all season long.

You folks down there have wonderful flowers we can't grow up here. And you have some of the most interesting, colorful and fascinating bird life, as well. You folks in the deep South have the Painted Bunting, the Roseate Spoonbill, and other birds I only can wish we had here. Next year, hubby and I are planning to take a trip to the Florida Everglades and the Keys islands, and I am planning to see and photograph much of the great flora and fauna there. And, I'll try not to get eaten by an alligator. LOL!
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    As is my firm philosophy, I do believe in sharing the beauty. So here is one more during our colorful glory season:

colorful garden plot.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    White Alyssum, and floral beauty everywhere:
    Dillweed in my garden.jpgbronze bearded iris blooms, 2014.jpg
    These two are particularly beautiful. I recognize the Iris, but is that coreopsis as well? I can tell that a lot of hard work went into your garden, it really shows.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The bright yellow flowers with feathery foliage is Dill Weed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    a lot of hard work went into your garden, it really shows.
    Beautiful! Agreed, your hard work definitely shows. I'm glad you have the personal belief of sharing the beauty -- I appreciate seeing your garden.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 03-29-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ooh, those iris are an interesting color - don't think I've ever seen any quite that shade of wine before.

I have to ask - with all of that dill, are you planning a massive batch of pickles or what?
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    White Alyssum, and floral beauty everywhere:
    Dillweed in my garden.jpg
    I've never seen dill that looked like this?