· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

Default Black Neon - Pregnant or a Tumor?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Black Neon and the last 2 weeks it's stomach has grown to an obese proportion.
    There are 2 other Black Neons in the tank. Do not know any of their sexes.
    Don't know if she's pregnant or is this a tumor.
    Any idea?
    Here are 2 photos.
    IMG_3366.jpgIMG_3370.jpg
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    (Angel Fish, Gold Severum, Black Neons, Cory Cats, Cherry Barbs)
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    Scales look "pineconed", not a good thing

I think it's diseased or infested with parasites, not preggers, but I'm no fish disease expert

Moving to the Fish Diseases section
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

4 Not allowed!
    Yea looks like dropsy no cure for that better to take it out before it spreads also how long have you had this tank up and running what are water parameters ammonia,nitrite and nitrate

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

1 Not allowed!
    Just did a Water Change yesterday.
    Tested water. Nitrates are in 20's, which are high after a 3/4 Water Change just yesterday.
    I also had a catfish die.
    Took fish out. In a bowl with a bit of epsom salts. Probably not gonna' make it.
    Thanks for info.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Agreed with Above- this level of distension is most probably not benign. In gravid or egg-bound fish the swelling will typically be in the posterior portion of the abdominal cavity. From above, the fish takes on a slight pear shape. A distension of the anterior cavity is more likely pathological.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino1956 View Post
    Just did a Water Change yesterday.
    Tested water. Nitrates are in 20's, which are high after a 3/4 Water Change just yesterday.
    I also had a catfish die.
    Took fish out. In a bowl with a bit of epsom salts. Probably not gonna' make it.
    Thanks for info.
    When was the last time the filter was cleaned it can be a nitrate factory adding nitrates back into the tank. Are you using a liquid test? Also when was last time you checked on ammonia levels?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    When was the last time the filter was cleaned it can be a nitrate factory adding nitrates back into the tank. Are you using a liquid test? Also when was last time you checked on ammonia levels?
    Some good questions. I cleaned all 3 HOB filters 2 days ago with the Water Change.
    The 3 HOB are rated Agua Clear (50 Gallon), Penguin 200 (50 Gallons) and a small Tetra HOB (20 Gallons).
    I usually clean the filters thoroughly every other water change.
    Although My Water Change lately has been every 10 days.
    It use to be every 7 days. I think I'll go back to the 7 day WC.
    But when I do a WC, I change 75% of the water.
    I feed once a day, but probably a little too much food.
    I try to make sure the big and the little fish get enough food. I 'm going to cut back on food a bit.
    I feed Omega small Cichlid Pellets and Tetra Large Flakes.
    Fish Stocking (75 Gallon Tank):
    3- 5" Angels, 1- 5" Gold Severum, 2 Silver Dollars, 2 Cherry Barbs, 1 small flame Goraimi (Can't spell ;-), 3 Cory Cats, 3 Black Neons.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And to add, Ammonia is OK but Nitrates are at 20 after a 75% Water Change.
    I'm going to do another water change in a day or 2, being sure to stir up the sand.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Turns out there were 2 fish dying. The other was a Dwarf Gourami.
    I euthanized them both. Watkins All Natural Ground Cloves is what I used instead of the oil.
    It's what I had available.
    It worked. Is that Ok to use this?
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    How long has the tank been running with the full stock? Before these issues..sometimes its good to re trace your steps :)