· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default An example of the extremes I had to go to keep deer from eating my Delphinium

2 Not allowed!
    I am posting this in the non-fish photo forum because I love this Delphinium, and for those of you who have been wondering how I keep deer from devouring plants they regularly eat, this is it:

2014 Delphinium and Irises in garden.jpg2014 Delphinium in garden.jpg
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Although it's nearly invisible in these photos, and was also invisible from a distance in real life, those entire metal supports were covered from top to ground with 3/4-inch bird netting, anchored into the soil with 6-inch garden staples! That was the ONLY way I could keep deer away from them!
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

1 Not allowed!
    If I'm ever in your area I could always swing by with my bow and take care of the problem for you, lol.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Mermaid, you're a true gardener.

BTW, those pale purple iris make a lovely backdrop for your delphinium.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Ah, thanks, Laura. I love few things more than getting down and dirty in the earth, nurturing new and older plants, and watching them reach their greatest glory (usually about mid-July around here). I keep the garden a bit on the wild side, and no chemicals stronger than cider vinegar are used in it. That kills the roots of the Canadian thistles, which are ten times the pests of any other weeds. If I didn't control them, everything else would get choked out. I won't even use RoundUp, which is supposed to be relatively safe, but really isn't.

You should see all the birds that forage in my beds, the little frogs and toads, lizards, and the little ribbon snake that slithers from one burrow to another across the rocked footpaths. Every year, there are surprises. The little pool I have always ends up with tadpoles that hatch in it, and I try to feed them with tadpole food I got from our garden center.

As this year's garden progresses, I shall be posting more pictures of it.

Delphinium is supposed to be toxic, but it evidently doesn't bother the deer enough to deter them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Beautiful garden! I'll look forward to watching this thread
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Those photos are from a couple of years ago. This year's garden has yet to awaken, and I'll be putting in some new stuff once the soil can be worked.

Meanwhile, here are a few more from the above collection:

glorious 2014 garden.jpg2014 poppies, catnint, sage, foxgloves, yellow alliums.jpg2014 swan in garden, diverse floral.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Lovely! Your property is gorgeous as well. Those trees make for a ideal backdrop, allowing your flowers to really pop against them.

I really like the look of a wild 'meadow in bloom' that you've created with your planting placements.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I really like the look of a wild 'meadow in bloom' that you've created with your planting placements.
    It's beautiful with a nice variety of plants and flowers.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Some of those are native wildflowers that have always come up on their own, my never having planted them. The white yarrow is one. While I keep it under reasonable control, I will let it bloom in certain strategic spots where it complements my other flowers. There's also a yellow cinquefoil that comes up by itself, and in certain areas, it looks really nice, so I treat it as part of my intended garden rather than as a weed.

My dad once said that a weed is a plant one doesn't want. If you like it, it's not a weed. Adds to the natural look of things, in the right places and in the right amounts.

Anything that overcrowds or comes up where I don't want it to, I pull out or dig out.

Saves me work when the desired natives volunteer -- I don't have to do much cultivating of them -- they pretty much do their own thing.

The great thing about the wild white yarrow is that I can add bright red Paprika Yarrow and bright yellow Moonshine Yarrow in the same general areas, and I have a nice variety of yarrows there.