· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like it's double-posting on me, again. I click on "post quick reply", then it asks if I want to leave the page or stay on it. Whichever one I choose, my reply doesn't seem to actually post unless I click on "post quick reply" again, then it double posts. Don't know how to stop that ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I have had that happen to me before.

One thing I do if I am making a long post is just before I click "post quick reply" I select it all and copy it. (Ctrl-C.) Then if I get that notification asking if I want to leave the page, I leave the page. Then I go to the list of new posts and pull up the thread again. The post is almost always there - unless I exit and re-enter the thread.

In the rare occasions that the post is not there, I have it copied. So, all I have to do is paste it and try again. When I paste it back, everything is there except the emoticons and (sometimes) the pictures or links.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Is there some way William can fix it so that window doesn't come up? It seems to do it most often with the quick reply. If I go advanced and the large reply box comes up, that usually doesn't happen. But I have to remember to do that. I've never tried the copy and paste method, then bringing up the new post. Seems like a lot of steps, and no guarantee everything will come back.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    This garden has been a work in progress, evolving over the twenty-some years we've been here. It started out with one small bed and grew from there. At one point, I put in lava rock footpaths, both red and black lava, because I like the contrast. I laid down landscape fabric beneath it and stapled that down with garden staples. I find it has to be replaced every few years, as it deteriorates and gets holes in it, and weeds grow through it. That will be my job this season -- to replace the landscape fabric and double or triple layer it so it doesn't break down so easily.
    I've got a love/hate relationship with landscape fabric. I try to cover it up with different types of mulch so the UV rays don't get get to it but it still needs replacing and it's a pain to remove the mulch and get at the old fabric to remove it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm be better off just using a hoe to eliminate any weeds that pop up?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'm beginning to think that the more layers of it I lay down on top of one another, the less likely weeds will be able to get through, and it might protect a little longer than a single or double layer. This time, I plan on layering it three or four plies, and slowly getting rid of the lava rock and replacing it with finely shredded wood mulch or maybe pea gravel. Other areas where I've switched over to pea gravel, it stays clear a lot longer because I can really pour than on thickly, and the pebbles are so tiny they compact in much closer together, shutting out light and making it difficult for weeds to sprout. Between the heavy layering of the landscape fabric and the thick application of pea gravel on top, maybe my footpaths will finally stay mostly weed-free.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Between the heavy layering of the landscape fabric and the thick application of pea gravel on top, maybe my footpaths will finally stay mostly weed-free.
    I hope your plan for this year brings you plant-free footpaths -- more time for you to just enjoy your beautiful garden!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    That should work to keep your paths weed-free.

However, one layer of landscape fabric under pea gravel will let water through. But if you put multiple layers of landscape fabric down, water won't drain through, or will drain very slowly. If your footpaths can drain off elsewhere, that's no problem. But if they are lower than the surrounding area, you'll need rubber boots to use your paths after a heavy rain.

I can relate to the love/hate relationship with landscape fabric. As time goes on, I am leaning more towards hate. The problem is that the lawn grasses here, plus some of the grassy weeds, will come up right through even brand new top-of-the-line landscape fabric. Those grasses and grassy weeds are essentially impossible to hand pull effectively, since they break off when pulled and any little bit of root left in the ground just re-sprouts. With landscape fabric down, you can't hoe. Hoeing won't get rid of all the roots, either, but it's at least faster to hoe an area than hand-pull it. And if you're diligent with the hoeing, the grass can be kept down so it's not a big problem.

But if you get behind, ugh...you have to dig the whole bed out DEEP and hand-pick or sieve all the roots from the soil. I have really come to hate grass, honestly. It causes 90% of my hair-pulling stress in the garden.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I've got a small garden area at one of the entries to the house that I have tried landscape fabric with pea gravel on top and it just didn't work. Grass and weeds just came right through it and it was good landscape fabric similar to tyvek house wrap double layered. I've got to pull all that out and try a different approach when the snow is gone. I need more plants in there and mulch of some kind. I think I'll give one of those hula hoes a try this year.

Of course the key to all that is snow gone!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I think I'll give one of those hula hoes a try this year.
    I'd love to know how you like it, please.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Gotta find one first but will do RG.