· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The nice thing about yarrows is that they will self seed unless it's some sort of fancy hybrid. I think I see some California poppies and salvia out there as well?
    Last edited by Taurus; 03-25-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post

My dad once said that a weed is a plant one doesn't want. If you like it, it's not a weed. Adds to the natural look of things, in the right places and in the right amounts.
    Words of wisdom.

Your mix certainly is pleasing on the eyes. Whether planned planting or strategic pruning, you've got a lovely garden here. And make no mistake, it is you who cultivates this. Your own work of art. It is really nice.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much, Riversgirl. I firmly believe that beauty should be shared. It's a product of goodness, and there can never be too much of that.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Lovely sentiments.

Gardens are full of surprises. Sometimes back porches are, too. DH was surprised and was surprised by a 5' rat snake there today.

Snakes are good garden buddies so of course he left it alone. But he did come in for a few minutes until his heart rate slowed down.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    The nice thing about yarrows is that they will self seed unless it's some sort of fancy hybrid. I think I see some California poppies and salvia out there as well?
    Yes, there are California poppies, whose seeds I only sowed once when I first cleared ground for my garden plots. I've never had to sow them again. They always self-sow.

So do the foxgloves.

And yes, there is also salvia, which comes back faithfully every season.

A lot of stuff self-sows in my garden. Even the snapdragons. The parent plants often don't survive the winter, but the seeds they drop seem to make it and sprout the following year.

Deer won't eat snapdragons. They might pull a new plant completely out of the ground, but then they let it lay, intact. I always check for that in early Spring, and replant any they've uprooted. With good watering, they go ahead and flourish. Evident, curious deer or fawns find out quickly that Snaps don't taste good.

The also leave the foxglove completely alone, and they've never messed with the salvias or sages.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura_in_FL View Post
    Lovely sentiments.

Gardens are full of surprises. Sometimes back porches are, too. DH was surprised and was surprised by a 5' rat snake there today.

Snakes are good garden buddies so of course he left it alone. But he did come in for a few minutes until his heart rate slowed down.
    I would love for a gopher snake to take up residence in my garden. I do have a gopher problem, and those sonic deterrents on the market don't seem to work. I won't use traps, and of course, chemicals are out. I have two cats that do like to hunt, but catching a gopher is extremely challenging, and even cats can't get them most of the time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura_in_FL View Post
    Lovely sentiments.

I would love for a gopher snake to take up residence in my garden. I do have a gopher problem, and those sonic deterrents on the market don't seem to work. I won't use traps, and of course, chemicals are out. I have two cats that do like to hunt, but catching a gopher is extremely challenging, and even cats can't get them most of the time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The nice thing about a garden like yours is that you don't need rich soil to do it in, as a matter of fact top soil can be a detriment. Hope things come back for you this summer. Oh, other stuff that would do well in a garden like this are forget-me-nots, johnny jumps ups and viola.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The nice thing about a garden like yours is that you don't need rich soil to do it in, as a matter of fact top soil can be a detriment. Hope things come back for you this summer. Oh, other stuff that would do well in a garden like this are forget-me-nots, johnny jumps ups and viola.
    Yes, and I love all of those. The Violas, or Pansies, would just feed the deer. If I want those, I have to plant them in pots on our covered deck. Deer don't have the nerve to go up there.

They seem to leave alone Johnny-jump-ups. Those come up voluntarily every season, and I let them, deadheading the spent blooms but letting a few drop seeds.

I do plan to put in some forget-me-nots. I love their delicate blue flowers. I planted them once before, and nothing bothered them.

The soil there was initially clay. Clay doesn't drain well. I have had to add some amendments to improve drainage. It used to be forested there, and we cleared out all the trees and their stumps and roots to prepare for the flowerbeds. Ironically, I have found that some plants don't do as well if a lot of fertilizer is added. Some actually don't like it. But it still has to drain well, and I achieve that with compost mixed in with the clay. Clay soil actually does contain a lot of nutrients, but the poor drainage makes it hard for roots to access them. I've found my best bet is to regularly cultivate the soil to keep it loose so it doesn't compact and get hard around the roots. I've never added topsoil -- I just mix in the compost with what's there.

There's often a lot of leaf litter that decomposes naturally on the ground, and I let that lay. It makes a nice mulch, and hiding places for insects which birds forage on, as well as places where frogs and other small creatures can hide and be protected by shade.

This garden has been a work in progress, evolving over the twenty-some years we've been here. It started out with one small bed and grew from there. At one point, I put in lava rock footpaths, both red and black lava, because I like the contrast. I laid down landscape fabric beneath it and stapled that down with garden staples. I find it has to be replaced every few years, as it deteriorates and gets holes in it, and weeds grow through it. That will be my job this season -- to replace the landscape fabric and double or triple layer it so it doesn't break down so easily.

My work is cut out for me . . .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, and I love all of those. The Violas, or Pansies, would just feed the deer. If I want those, I have to plant them in pots on our covered deck. Deer don't have the nerve to go up there.

They seem to leave alone Johnny-jump-ups. Those come up voluntarily every season, and I let them, deadheading the spent blooms but letting a few drop seeds.

I do plan to put in some forget-me-nots. I love their delicate blue flowers. I planted them once before, and nothing bothered them.

The soil there was initially clay. Clay doesn't drain well. I have had to add some amendments to improve drainage. It used to be forested there, and we cleared out all the trees and their stumps and roots to prepare for the flowerbeds. Ironically, I have found that some plants don't do as well if a lot of fertilizer is added. Some actually don't like it. But it still has to drain well, and I achieve that with compost mixed in with the clay. Clay soil actually does contain a lot of nutrients, but the poor drainage makes it hard for roots to access them. I've found my best bet is to regularly cultivate the soil to keep it loose so it doesn't compact and get hard around the roots. I've never added topsoil -- I just mix in the compost with what's there.

There's often a lot of leaf litter that decomposes naturally on the ground, and I let that lay. It makes a nice mulch, and hiding places for insects which birds forage on, as well as places where frogs and other small creatures can hide and be protected by shade.

This garden has been a work in progress, evolving over the twenty-some years we've been here. It started out with one small bed and grew from there. At one point, I put in lava rock footpaths, both red and black lava, because I like the contrast. I laid down landscape fabric beneath it and stapled that down with garden staples. I find it has to be replaced every few years, as it deteriorates and gets holes in it, and weeds grow through it. That will be my job this season -- to replace the landscape fabric and double or triple layer it so it doesn't break down so easily.

My work is cut out for me . . .