· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Angelfish and Neon Tetras

0 Not allowed!
    I can use some opinions. I have two koi angels awaiting for their tank to cycle and be ready for them. Almost there. I noticed that my betta living with four tetras has been getting his tail nipped on. Never saw it, just noticed the missing parts of fin. I know large angels will eat tetras. My question is; should I put the tetras with the angels and risk them nipping on the angels? The angels are not big enough to eat them, but it seems like anything with a long fin becomes a target. Sadly, these koi angels are my favorite and most expensive fish. Don't want to cause them stress.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    With the Tetras and the Betta how large is the tank?? Tetras do way better in larger schools well over ten. Makes them way more chilled and less insecure, with larger numbers increasing there security.

How large are the Angles??

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The angels are between a quarter and fifty cent piece size.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    How big is your tank that is cycling awaiting your koi angels?

I've never seen tetras bother with angelfish fins, and I've been keeping different tetras and angelfish for a decade. The trick is to make sure the tetras have enough swimming space and keep them in a group of no less than 10 specimens like mac suggested. It also depends on the type of tetra, stay away from serpeas as they are notoriously nippy, I found out first hand. The red phantom tetra is a bit smaller than the serpea, redder and 100% docile IME. The only nippy tetra I've kept was serpea, but I think diamond tetras are boisterous as well. I've heard columbian tetras are nippy, but in a group of 11 full grown columbians in a 90g, they were completely fine even with small, young angels. Unless your looking at very small tetas like embers, I think you should be ok letting the angels grow up with tetras so that they are less likely to view the tetras as food.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Had diamonds and they are indeed boisterous, highly active and very energetic. They intimidated the rest of my tank until I re homed them.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 03-23-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, finally got a zero reading on the nitrates, and everything else is good. So I moved the two koi angels. It is a 25 gallon. They were hanging out in a planted 10 gallon for the last week or so, waiting. I do plan to add to the group of neon tetras, but wondering if it would be a good (and safe) idea to move them into the 25 with the angels. Or, would that be considered tight quarters for them?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I tend to use my 10 gallons as quarantine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

2 Not allowed!
    I've never seen aggressive neons. It would be the angels that kill the neons. Even if they do not eat them, they will likely kill them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquawoman View Post
    Okay, finally got a zero reading on the nitrates, and everything else is good. So I moved the two koi angels. It is a 25 gallon. They were hanging out in a planted 10 gallon for the last week or so, waiting. I do plan to add to the group of neon tetras, but wondering if it would be a good (and safe) idea to move them into the 25 with the angels. Or, would that be considered tight quarters for them?
    Ok, these are my thoughts:
    I think that would be tight, if you want to keep it simple with no potential issues. If the angels breed, the tetras well be pushed to the opposite side of the breeding site and kept there. But I've considered adding dither fish to my 3ft breeder tanks, so I can't say for sure it won't work. I really have never seen any angelfish go after a tetra in all my years keeping them together, they will push them away aggressively, but oftentimes don't even make contact. The tetras eventually get it, and stay away from the pair of angels. They would need some plant (artificial or live) to retreat to though, as angelfish are very big on "line of sight". Territories are broken up with tall plants and hardscape that block sight . Also, you'd be at your absolute max for stocking as well, keep in mind, full-grown angelfish need 10g each as a guideline.

I left you a decision to make, I think if you really want to keep tetras with the angels, you could try it. Although a 10g isn't big enough for tetras long term, you'd have to keep your eye out and move the tetras if you see any issues.

I'm sure you understand about cycling, just making sure, was this quote supposed to read:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquawoman
    finally got a zero reading on the nitr-ITES
    ?

Quick reminder in case: You want to test 0 ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitr-ITE, and some nitr-ATES to be considered cycled. Keep the nitrates under 20ppm with water changes and/or live plants.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

4 Not allowed!
    really have never seen any angelfish go after a tetra in all my years keeping them together
    I have seen people have success with keeping both of them together but that was not the case for me once. I had a koi angel that would go directly after any smaller fish and would not stop till he got the satisfaction of pecking at their dead body on the sand substrate. Then I had the pair that couldn't have cared less. Its a toss up. Fish really do have personalities despite popular opinion. :)