· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Stocking New Tank Thoughts

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all!

Glad to have finally taken the leap and joined a forum. I have jumped into the fishkeeping hobby with both feet (puns're great) and have now realized how passionately I actually feel for all of my new little buddies (including the vegetation). Much to my girlfriend's chagrin, I have found myself somewhat obsessing over parameters, the feeding/lighting regimen, and the general happiness of my fish and plants. I'd like to ask a quick question. I have been doing a ridiculous amount of diligent research regarding my tank but was looking for personal suggestions regarding stocking. I will provide my prospective list and any feedback would be much appreciated! I added photos of tank and Xur, the Bristlenose...he's too gorgeous to have not added haha. Also have a nice piece of Malaysian driftwood soaking in a bucket, which I plan to grow Java Moss on once it's acceptably waterlogged and ready to sink.

Tank: Two-month old Eco-complete substrated 55 gallon planted tropical community
    Filtration: Marineland Emperor 400
    Heater: Eheim 200watt
    Lighting: 36" Fluval Fish and Plant 2.0
    Parameters: ~76 degrees, 7.8 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, ~10 Nitrate
    I do 25% water changes every Sunday (was doing 40%, but reduced in fear of too much tap copper influx for shrimp)

Fish I have stocked already:
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    3 African Dwarf Frogs
    4 Amano Shrimp
    4 Panda Cories
    5 Longfin Zebra Danios
    5 Cherry Barbs

Fish I look to add:
    12 Endler Livebearers
    5 White Skirt Tetras
    5 Kuhli Loaches (LFS says they'll be fine in eco-complete)
    2 Dwarf Gourami

44 "fishes" in all (including Amanos and ADFs). AqAdvisor says this is 94% stocked. Curious on the community's thoughts.

Sorry for the novel, I am guilty of diligence, like I said prior. Looking forward to any replies!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC, tank looks very nice.

Not sure what kind of pleco you have, but if it's a "common", it will outgrow the tank soon.

The corys, danios, and barbs should all be kept in larger schools, they are a social fish...at least 6 or 8 of the corys...and 10 on the barbs and the danios

Same goes with the tetras and loaches

The endlers are livebearers, and breed like mad, be sure to get all males or they will overrun the tank

Stay away from the dwarf gouramis, they can cause issues in a community tank...look at other larger gouramis, like pearls or honeys
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

I may just cut out the Gouramis and Tetras altogether and get a couple more Barbs, Danios, and Cories to make bigger schools, like you said.

Pleco is a bristlenose...only grow to be ~6 inches.

And the LFS I use only sells male Endlers for that reason! So I will be getting 12 males.

Appreciate the quick reply.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    EDIT:SLAPS ALWAYS THE NINJA>>>>

Tank looks great!

Few issues I see are the clawed frogs need shallow tanks since they need to reach the surface for air. Also The fish you have now are all gregarious so I recommend working with the stock you have and adding to it. Keep in mind about Livebearers females reproduce very very...very quickly lol you WILL have to many so heads up on that get all males!

So if it was me I would return the frogs and bump the school of every fish at leased to 10 individuals.

Also I recommend adding another HOB filter to the other side of the tank aswell as modifying the 400's filter media to filter bags filled with ceramic biomedia great brands are Fluval,Ehiem, or Haegen to name a few.

Also maybe some assassin snails to keep the ramshorn snails in check..

And finally welcome to the community
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 03-22-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that!

I've measured the substrate to surface, which came out to 15" (3" of substrate and an inch from the rim) and recommendations on ADF depth is no higher than 15". They've been happy for a month, so I think I'll keep them (they're bursting with character) unless I see anything alarming pop up.

I am definitely getting all male Endlers.

Question about second HOB filter. I was definitely considering...would I put one of my established bio wheels into the new one so both are running one new and one established bio wheel?

Truly appreciate the feedback, thanks for the warm welcome!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Nope no need just maybe get a slightly better HOB (I've personally used a 400 on a 55 then upgraded it lol) possibly look at aquaclear by haegen they come already stocked with the appropriate biomedia and other mechanical filtration. The new filter will seed from the addition of the new fish just be on top of the water parameters and WC's and your good to go! :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Good deal! Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the aquaclear tonight.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Everyone gave you some good advice but I'm going to add one more. You really need to get some Driftwood in for your pleco. They need to graze on the biofilm that grows on the Driftwood as well as the Driftwood itself for proper digestion.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks! In the back right of my tank is a decent sized, very dark, piece of driftwood (slated down) where Xur spends almost every moment. He loves that spot. It's hard to see in the tank pic, the plant conceals it, but he's constantly munching that thing. He's even on it munching in his picture.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-.../dp/B000260FUW

That, along with the Emperor, will get you roughly 3X the filtration for your tank size...always overfilter, just in case you need/want more fish later

Agree with Joe, no need to seed it, just add it...your BB colony will have more room to grow when the time comes

Awesome filters, the Aquaclears...I have 5 of them, they never fail me, with proper maintenance, which is easy to do
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 03-22-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers