· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation Is it possible to overdose fish (mebendazole and metronidazole)?

0 Not allowed!
    My yellow lab cichlids (1 6-month old and 3 2-month-olds), have been showing signs of 'bloat' for around a week. They have not been eating this whole time and have difficulty in swimming (moving but staying in one spot). I am getting desperate as I've already lost 3 fish.

2 days ago, i.e. Monday, I used AZOO anti-endoparasite (mebendazole and metronidazole) and did 30% WC yesterday. Yesterday night they actually seemed to improve (i.e. less wobbly when swimming), but today they've reverted back to their previous state. One of the 2-month olds is slightly more active than the other fish.

I am considering putting a second dose right now but am hesitating because I've read on some other forum that mebendazole killed someone's discus, and I'm scared that it will have the same effects on cichlids. Should I take a chance?

Also, should I put a little bit of food in case they do eat?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for all your advice - rangur1   No Message - rangur1   

3 Not allowed!
    rummie, i have kept these fish for years. going to ask basic questions for background info. these symptoms are systemic and bad. where did you get fish. how did you acclimate them prior to putting them in tank. what are you feeding them? because these fish have what sounds like malawi bloat. oh, stop the meds, it will likely kill your beneficial bacteria in your tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

4 Not allowed!
    Read the directions for the medication and follow the dosage. Do not increase the treatment time beyond what the instructions say.

You can overdose on using metronidazole.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 03-29-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Hi Rummie, you certainly have an issue that requires more info, so I'm going to help as well as I can.

Bloat is very hard to treat, it is a symptom for many diseases. Since you have more than one fish exhibiting this symptom, unfortunately there's not much you can do right now except keep the stress down.

What size of tank do you have these yellow labs in? What type of filter do you have on the tank? The fact that the fish perked up after a WC and reverted after 24hrs is a good indication that your water params aren't up to par. I'm not sure of your WC schedule, but with 4 African cichlids, I would be doing 30% WCs twice a week. If you want to try and help your existing fish, try daily WCs to get the parameters/conditions back.

Don't feed the fish until they are eating again, it's best not to feed a bloated fish, they probably won't eat it anyway, and uneaten food further depletes water changes quality.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-29-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat