· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a rummynose for your tank - Silbar   For your good taste in music ;-) - steeler58   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    My last reef was a 5.5g. You have the skill Waylon. The reason small tanks in general fail is stocking.....seems sw aquarist in general practice better stocking. I made alot of mistakes with mine. Corals out grew tank but I ran it for 4 yrs.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flchamp89 View Post
    My last reef was a 5.5g. You have the skill Waylon. The reason small tanks in general fail is stocking.....seems sw aquarist in general practice better stocking. I made alot of mistakes with mine. Corals out grew tank but I ran it for 4 yrs.
    Well its only been up for a month so we'll see if I have 'the skill' but thanks for the encouragement!
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a rummynose for your tank - Silbar   For your good taste in music ;-) - steeler58   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Im joing you. I tore my ten down

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Good Luck with this tank. You're on the right track by starting this journal :) I love picos/nanos. The one major thing I've always struggled with is temperature. Never trust an aquarium heater and be prepared for rapid fluctuations in temperature. If you do not have a climate controlled house/apt (heater/air conditioner), be prepared for the summer heat w/ a fan and extra RODI water to increase evaporation and lower the tank temp.

I highly recommend finding your local reef club. They're a great resource for learning more about the hobby, Finding particularly hardy strains of coral that have been propogated locally (and have often survived there fair share of ups and downs) and best of all getting to hang out with people who are passionate about aquariums.

Also you mentioned having white LEDs, are there also blue? I believe coral needs blue spectrum lighting to properly photosynthesize. (Not to mention they will look more vibrant under bluer lights)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately the closest reef keeping club is in Kansas City for me. I get all my conversing with my friends at the LFS. Yes I did mention White LEDs but they are underneath a 18 Inch (15W) Marine-Glow Actinic Flourescent. So there is a good mixture of different light spectrums.

Also you mentioned having white LEDs, are there also blue? I believe coral needs blue spectrum lighting to properly photosynthesize.
    Last edited by waylon101; 03-29-2017 at 04:51 AM.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, Good News and Bad News
    The Good news is that I'm starting to get some coraline algae!
    The bad news is that my tank is infested with Red Bugs. I've done some research and understand that the cure is a Dog heart-worm medication. I don't want to have to go through the trouble of getting a prescription. Has anyone used an over-the-counter brand?
    20170328_231839 (1).jpg
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    Unfortunately the closest reef keeping club is in Kansas City for me. I get all my conversing with my friends at the LFS. Yes I did mention White LEDs but they are underneath a 18 Inch (15W) Marine-Glow Actinic Flourescent. So there is a good mixture of different light spectrums.
    That's a bummer. I dunno how far that is from but it may be worth going to their big events if at all possible (people came from 6+ hours for ours). We would have coral swapping, raffles and vendors at our largest event of the year.

As for the red bugs. Here's my two tips: Check out advance aquarist & buy a coral dip (like Revive or if you're a bit more adventurous bayers bug killer but do your research first). I could (and have) spent hours scrolling through advanced aquarists beautifully laid out and interesting articles. They are well researched and thought out. Here's a link to their article on red bugs: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

Make sure that what you have are actually harmful red bugs and not tigger pods or something else that's beneficial for your tank. Medications should always be a last resort in a reef tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe. I don't see any affect on the GSP so I'll probably hold off until I know exactly what they are.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Very interesting reading that article. I can see how a sw quarentine system is so so so important.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Saw some copepods non the glass today and the coraline algae is spreading I'm happy to see the tank maturing!
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast