· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Indeed if your KH is high it will buffer the developing acids and in turn will not effect your pH and the reverse if there is not enough KH at least 4degress your pH can crash quickly

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I've never kept hard water cichlids because my tap water is soft, but I'm not entirely sure you can't plant Lake Tankinita cichlid tanks. You may be able to get away with plants like wisteria, water sprite, java fern, bolbitis and anubias. So you might have more options than you know!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish to get you started ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Was I right about it being well water?...if so, a TDS meter would be handy, as well

You guys are on a farm, correct?...do any fertilizers or chemicals end up in the runoff water?
    We have city water unfortunately.
    My neighbors on 2 sides of me are actually in the city limits. No other farms close to us.

We do have a water softener but by pass it for the aquariums.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Well once you get the water tested you can plan accordingly. :)

I also think which cichlid you get will depend on what level of maintenance you're looking for or are able to dedicate the time to. Certain dwarf cichlids require rigorous water changes and water parameter motioning another issue is territorial disputes sometimes there is no choice but to remove certain fish and isolate them or even treat due to injuries from fights etc.. So having other tanks with similar water parameters you can use is important.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Well once you get the water tested you can plan accordingly. :)

I also think which cichlid you get will depend on what level of maintenance you're looking for or are able to dedicate the time to. Certain dwarf cichlids require rigorous water changes and water parameter motioning another issue is territorial disputes sometimes there is no choice but to remove certain fish and isolate them or even treat due to injuries from fights etc.. So having other tanks with similar water parameters you can use is important.
    Water test will be here tomorrow. I bought the sticks yesterday but I have a hard time believing the results.

Definitely wanted to go low maintenance. That's why I'm trying to go planted community. My heart is with cichlids but 8 months a year I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off most of the time. Once or twice weekly water changes is what I'm looking at. If I wanted to dedicate more time to water changes and maintenance I would just get 2 Oscars.
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll check back in tomorrow after I test GH and kh.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    ^^good point. I ran into aggession between an electric blue ram pair, twice, and had to treat the female in a QT tank. I know I wasn't the only one here who ran into issues with dwarf South American cichlids either. They do need very good water conditions to stay well, but you'll be fine with weekly water changes and a good filter cleaning schedule in a planted tank for rams or apistos.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-17-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Nothing wrong at all with city water; good that you bypass the softener for the tanks, too
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Laetacara dorsigera is a great fish for a communitytank.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well....the results are not what I expected and the test strips was pretty accurate.
    Kh is 2°
    GH is 35.8
    PH 7.5
    Both test changed color on the second drop of solution. I tested multiple times just in case. Same result each time.

Looks like we was scammed by the r*** s*** rep years ago😨 At least the softener gets rid of a lot of the chlorine for drinking purposes😂