· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish to get you started ;-) - steeler58   

Default Community dwarf tank?

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm leaning towards a planted community tank and considering a dwarf community set up. Which species can live together peacefully and how many can go in a 125 gallon? Will I be locked into strictly dwarf cichilds or can we also add other livestock(corys, plecos, upside down catfish etc)?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Depends on which dwarf cichlid your talking about there are literally hundreds of different species. If I may I recommend going with Bolivian Rams very easy fish to keep and does well with others.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Depends on which dwarf cichlid your talking about there are literally hundreds of different species. If I may I recommend going with Bolivian Rams very easy fish to keep and does well with others.
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. I would like to have many different species in the tank.

Do they all get along well with each other as long as they have their own territory to claim?
    Any certain ones to avoid?

I do like the rams but looking to add others too.

I would really like to start with some other common fish that I can buy local then add the dwarfs once the tank has aged a bit. Other than rams I will likely have to order any others.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You've got a ton of stocking options with a tank that size.

What are the params (ph, gh, kh) of your source water?...you guys have a well, correct?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Stick with one species of cichlid I wouldn't try to mix.

And yes how many cichlids depends on territory space in a 125g you can have around 6-8 rams plus have plenty of choices for other fish such as Cory or Tetras

Matt is right on water parameters this will also dictate which dwarf species is an option for you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You've got a ton of stocking options with a tank that size.

What are the params (ph, gh, kh) of your source water?...you guys have a well, correct?
    PH is 7.5.
    Waiting for my GH and kh test to arrive. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by milkingmomma View Post
    PH is 7.5.
    Waiting for my GH and kh test to arrive. Should be here today or tomorrow.
    Don't know how to edit on my phone but I "think" adding wood will lower the pH a bit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    That depends on the kH of your water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Was I right about it being well water?...if so, a TDS meter would be handy, as well

You guys are on a farm, correct?...do any fertilizers or chemicals end up in the runoff water?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Unless you venture away from rams, as far as I know, the only other readily avail. dwarf cichlid are ones from other continents, (I would not keep rams with appistograma due to aggression) and then it gets difficult to keep them in their proper water parameters. You could go with kribensis and butterfly cichlids, (both dwarf from West Africa) or rams and angelfish/discus (although the latter two aren't dwarf species). Finding out your water params as Slaphppy7 suggested is where I'd start, to make it easier on you, because there are also dwarfs from LakeTanganyika in east Africa that prefer a higher pH value for instance.

Edit: I just saw that you were leaning toward a planted community. You'd have to stick with the more soft water dwarf species like rams, or kribensis and butterfly. They all will be ok with other community fish in a tank that size with sufficient territory options.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-17-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat