· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a rummynose for your tank - Silbar   For your good taste in music ;-) - steeler58   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Osmotic shock

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome back and nice to meet you :)

Since Prime only detoxifies ammonia for 48 hours, it would be better to dose the tank amount every 2 days. Fishlove is right in saying that your ammonia should be absolutely undetectable before adding discus, they just won't be themselves with ammonia being present, and they will be very susceptible to diseases and protozoa. When I run into any issue with fish like this, I start doing daily water changes. Discus love fresh water! I 100% feel it's worth it and I've seen countless of times plain old WCs "cure" my fish. I can't stress that enough, and maybe try adding more media with beneficial bacteria from a seeded tank? I'd also have reservations about adding meds, especially since your tank might be mini-cycling and you do not know what's ailing your discus at this point.

I really hope you are able to bring the remaining back to health.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another discus for you. - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Hi Terrapin, sorry to hear you're having problems with your new discus. I think your fish endured too much during shipping or that they were sick from the beginning.
    I would continue to do daily wc. it is the key to success with discus. If you have quality tap water doing a 30% wc each day will surely help the fish.
    100 gal. planted discus with driftwood
    55 gal. growing tank for discus
    40 gal. nursery for discus

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

2 Not allowed!
    All--
    Havent lost any more fish; holding solid at 4 for the moment. All chems were 0 when fish were added. When i added water to the tank with the prime it was more than 24 hours BEFORE fish were added. I always over add prime when i am going to be adding fish to a tank so that in the event that i accidentally spill their bag water into the tank and there is amm in it the prime will catch it. On the off chance that this is pathogenic, i went ahead and bought a UV sterilizer tonight at petco. i did a 50% wc and im pushing the temp up to around 85. I hate adding chems to the water, so the uv is a good solution. I have one for my other two tanks that i will employ when i think there are issues.

This tank has all its own infrastructure--nets, tools, python, test kit, etc. There should be no contamination, and i plan to do tank maint on offset nights.

While i was at petco tonight, i took some time to speak with the store manager. It just so happens that this petco is pretty "fish focused"--thier tanks are clean, the stock always looks healthy, so i thought about asking if he'll do custom orders. After recounting my story he gave me a quick quiz on the tank and came to the conclusion that discus lover did above. I just got bad critters. We chatted for a bit and came up with a plan for restocking the tank and replacing the lost fish. He's going to place a custom order for us, and co-ordinate with me when they get delivered so the new stock goes from their dock to my tank without even hitting their tanks.

thanks all for the advice, ill post updates as i can.

--chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for this update. It is nice that you have this LFS so willing to help. I hope you will be able to save these 4 and that they won't give anything to new fish at a later date. I'm really sorry you went through this and I hope that supplier you ordered your sick stock from will not be in business for long. Best wishes for you and your tank, moving forward.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry you having to go through this and the vendor is not cooperating, did you already mention who this was?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Sorry you having to go through this and the vendor is not cooperating, did you already mention who this was?
    I havent. Go to sitejabber.com and do a search for discus. First search result, 1.5 stars with 45 reviews. I will not say or type their name. they don't deserve it. once you find their name, do a google search. it's not pretty.

On a more positive note, 4 still alive. here's hopin in the am there's still 4.

--chris

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Good to know, I've never bought from them and never will now, thanks for the link.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Fingers crossed that all will go well for the remaining lot.

It's a shame how some of these shops are able to stay open. A have the same issue between to lps in town. One is terrible for disease with fish. The other is decent for a lps.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you for letting us know about this company's terrible practices

I will remain hopeful that your 4 remaining fish are still with you this morning.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow