· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Best way to collect leaves

0 Not allowed!
    This is the first year I've decided to collect my own leaves to use in the aquarium. I mostly use maple leaves since maple trees are all over the place here.

I don't speak or boil the leaves, just let them dry. My question is, what's the best way to flatten the leaves for storage?

I've been drying them in front of a heater vent with an aquarium brick decor on top to weigh them, but I was wondering if there was another better way? Tx.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    following. I would like to start a leaf litter for my tank as well. Am I the only one in the world who isn't familiar with the type of trees in their area?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I used to dry all sorts of stuff in big old dictionaries. Like old school 4" thick hardbound dictionaries. If I still had them I still would dry that way. Takes a whole lot longer than a heater (weeks) but everything including flowers came out flat.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    This is the first year I've decided to collect my own leaves to use in the aquarium. I mostly use maple leaves since maple trees are all over the place here.

I don't speak or boil the leaves, just let them dry. My question is, what's the best way to flatten the leaves for storage?

I've been drying them in front of a heater vent with an aquarium brick decor on top to weigh them, but I was wondering if there was another better way? Tx.
    Why not just put them in a bag and let them dry naturally, why flat? Natural dry leafs usually ain't flat.
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't put the leaves in a bag to dry I would just leave them out to dry in the air naturally and then once they're dry then bag them but as for flattening them, I'm with Ken I'm not sure why you need them to be flat if they're going to go on the aquarium anyway. I guess if you need them to be flat you could put them in between pieces of newspaper or multiple pieces of newspaper and let the newspaper weigh them down.
    Last edited by Boundava; 11-11-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Bake them !! Kills bugs and dries them instantly.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    @DoubleDutch
    How long do you bake yours? What temperature, please? I'd bet it makes your home smell wonderful.

Kat, I've always just air dried the leaves I've collected but they already seemed dry when I picked them up.
    I like the natural shape each leaf is in as well. The slight curves make for under-caves and in-between surfaces to explore. It's a preference thing. Some might prefer flattened. You do whichever you like the look of.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    Why not just put them in a bag and let them dry naturally, why flat? Natural dry leafs usually ain't flat.
    Lol, it's easier to keep a bag of flat dry leaves in the freezer than a puffed up eventually broken one.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone, I absolutely prefer the look of crinkled leaves, I'm just not able to store them.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I wouldn't put the leaves in a bag to dry I would just leave them out to dry in the air naturally and then once they're dry then bag them but as for flattening them, I'm with Ken I'm not sure why you need them to be flat if they're going to go on the aquarium anyway. I guess if you need them to be flat you could put them in between pieces of newspaper or multiple pieces of newspaper and let the newspaper weigh them down.
    Very good point! Mould and bacteria heaven!!!
    -Kat