· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Do you think the 300w will be enough for my 100gal? Last time I bought a 300w it was a submersible Hydor. That died after 14 months and I attributed the early demise from being on alot, especially in the winter when my basement is 68*.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on the average ambient temp of your house, or the environment the tank is in

http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/what...tank-aquarium/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a rummynose for your tank - Silbar   For your good taste in music ;-) - steeler58   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    In larger tanks ive always liked running two smaller heaters. Great at keeping the temp and if one fails not up a creek.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    Do you think the 300w will be enough for my 100gal? Last time I bought a 300w it was a submersible Hydor. That died after 14 months and I attributed the early demise from being on alot, especially in the winter when my basement is 68*.
    Don't look at the wattage alone....check what the manufacturer says. Different manufacturers put different limits on what their heater can handle, which is also based on the room temperature and operating temperature of the tank. Deviating from that can shorten the heater's lifespan, which always happens at the wrong time.

The in-line hydor heater 300Watt heater is not made for a 100g tank. Per the manufacturer instructions, the 300 watt is only good up to 80g of water volume with a room temperature and tank difference of 8 degrees. With a difference of 10 degrees, you are looking at only 300 Watts for up to ~66g.

http://www.hydor.com/eng/prodotti-te...er-filters.php

So to be safe you are looking at buying 2 in-line hydor 300 watt heaters.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 03-16-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What if he only has one canister filter?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    What if he only has one canister filter?
    Time to look for an additional heater to be in the tank as well as run an in-line heater. However, this doesn't help with his problem of the pleco touching the heater to begin with.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    TBH, I didn't realize submersible heaters got hot enough to cause burns...seems like once the tank water is warm enough, 78F or so, the heater wouldn't have to get that hot on the surface to maintain temp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    TBH, I didn't realize submersible heaters got hot enough to cause burns...seems like once the tank water is warm enough, 78F or so, the heater wouldn't have to get that hot on the surface to maintain temp

I check my 300 watt heaters by griping them underwater to check if they work, having the indication light is not enough. They get hot slowly to the point that you could get burned.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If they get hot slowly, you'd think any fish would feel it and move off (?)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    If they get hot slowly, you'd think any fish would feel it and move off (?)
    They should if they are awake. If they are in a deep sleep (pleco are nocturnal), then they could get burned before they wake up.