· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default Not sure if this is normal?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm worried my young female platinum angelfish might be egg-bound. Her last spawn was smaller than expected, she still looked like she was full of eggs after she laid them and her ovipositor was still out all the way. I don't remember if this is normal or not, but I'm thinking no.

The spawn before that was 21 days earlier, and the father protected the eggs/wigglers until they were free-swimming, he kept her away and she found refuge behind some DW and a wall of rotala and still came out to eat, so I left things be. They were ok again once the fry dissappeared.

Here are some pics of her 18 hours after the spawn, before she was fed, but the eggs went missing this time, so perhaps she was the egg-eater.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I did a 50% WC (washed the algae) this morning and dosed the tank with 1.5 capfuls of Metro+. I'm going to continue with Metro+ and daily WCs and hope she feels better. She is still looking to eat, but I'm fasting them both for a few days at least.

I raised the temperature from 78f to 82f.

I don't know what else to do, any suggestions are of course wanted :) If not, I'll document her condition here.

Here's a vid I took today after the WC and Metro+ dosing.

And some pics from today
    I think it looks a bit better, but not 100% sure.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure what to do. I asked a breeder for help. She's the one who suggested using Metro. She wonders if being egg-bound is caused by an internal obstruction, putting pressure on other organs. It makes sense to me since I don't see how it's possible she has internal hex (she's been in my tanks from egg). The breeder said a bad internal infection can result, making it very difficult to treat. I'm wondering if I should just continue with daily WCs? Maybe try some Epsom Salts after a big WC? I'm still fasting her until she is not bloated. Any suggestions are wanted, I'll be very upset to loose her.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'm contemplating trying to feed her boiled peeled peas. It worked before for one of my EB rams, but she was too young to be egg-bound, so I'm lost and unsure what to do for my platinum angel. I think I'll do a large large water change and cease using the Metro unless I hear something different. I also added an Indian Almond leaf FYI. I might add more......

And thinking about adding Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate).
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    I wish I knew what to tell you.

PM madagascareinsis or Rocksor, mada was online a while ago
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Here are today's pictures. I'm so excited, she looks so much better! Her ovipositor is still out, but I seem to remember it staying out for a few days after spawning, it has retracted a bit. But I don't notice any worrisome bloating anymore! I'm going to continue with daily 50% (at least) WCs, and hope for the best. What do you guys think?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I wish I knew what to tell you.

PM madagascareinsis or Rocksor, mada was online a while ago
    Tx Matt, I figured no one knew what to do either, I can't find much info about egg-bound fish online, and guessed a commercial angelfish breeder would have the most experience with this. I hope everything works out :)

In case Rocksor or madagascariensis haven't seen this, I'll try PMing regarding Metro+ or Epsom Salts. Thank you :)
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-12-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I got some helpful feedback :)

I've decided to discontinue dosing Metronidazole (only dosed one day anyway) but I shouldn't have jumped the gun with antibiotics. I did two large WCs since dosing and added carbon for 12 hours. Although I don't notice any adverse reactions to using the med, the TDS of the tank jumped from 115 to 225. After my last WC, the TDS is down to 150. I don't like changing parameters.

Temp is at 82f.

Here are today's pics just as the light came on. I really don't see any bloating. I did another WC and I'm going to try feeding her daphnia today. I hope she's in the clear!

Tx to madagascariensis for help and straightening me out!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I understand it's hard to differentiate things in pictures sometimes but her bloat appears to have gone down. She is absolutely gorgeous Kat!! :) I'm so happy to hear she is doing better too. I love her sparkle

How big is she?
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    She is very pretty, fully agreed!
    I'm so glad she is doing better.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow