· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Evidently there may have been a colony introduced to the Philippines during the 1970's but has never been verified.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Lady knows her fish as Nat pointed out on my thread..........

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you can figure it out. - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    These are super neat fish! Very cool looking too
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    They seem very common around nz. Just expensive.
    So we must have a few larger scale breeders with them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    I adopted a lonely one some years ago.
    It tried to communicate with my C.habrosus. Rehomed it therefor to a decent group with someone else.
    You should have seen its reaction woehahahaha. Rewarding !!
    This is a neat story. That is a fortunate fish, to have been the recipient of your kindness.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Another day for these guys ;-)
    -Vince Lombardi

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just got a group of 5 for my river tank. Swapped out my cories for them and so far its a better fit - more of a community rather than the cories just keeping to themselves. Mostly ciclids and 2 syno petricolas with some anubias and river stones. Everyone shoals together harmoniously. Except the petricolas they hide during the day at least but I'm definitely happy with the loaches

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome little guys, congratulations
    -Vince Lombardi

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing like reviving an old (but interesting) thread. I have had DCLs for a year or two now. I find that, for new ones, nine is the magic number. Less than that and they are shy and secretive; more than that and they're out in the open and active pretty much all the time.

These are one of my favorite fish. They are sort of the class clowns of the tank; they'll take a poke at another fish once in a while just (it seems) out of boredom, but they never pursue. Their interspecies interactions are interesting, and it's very fun to watch them and try to figure out what they're up to. Mine occasionally display what looks suspiciously like spawning behavior, but I have never seen any eggs or fry. Given my stocking, though, that isn't surprising.

They are indeed endangered in the wild, mostly (like so many SE Asian fish) due to habitat degradation. Did anyone notice that TWS is now selling tank-raised DCLs? This is indeed very, very good news! Maybe the next stage will be reasonable prices for these little guys! ha ha ha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Did anyone notice that TWS is now selling tank-raised DCLs? This is indeed very, very good news! Maybe the next stage will be reasonable prices for these little guys! ha ha ha
    That's some nice news, right there - tank raised. They are quite pricy, yes.
    I looked into these a few years back and at that time had read that their breeding setup/requirements were a closely guarded secret. I hope more information is shared to breed them -- seems to me to be the right thing to do for these awesome fish.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow