· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

Default Tanganyika primer.

2 Not allowed!
    Tanganyika Primer.

Are you thinking about looking into keeping Tanganyika cichlids?
    Then before you start, the best option like anything in fish keeping is to research! This small step only takes a couple hours to complete! Making for a very smooth, stress free transition into keeping these wonderful fish. Even better side to it is that you are keep your aquarium pets in a safe and correct environment, through the research.

Things that you need to ask yourself!

What am I getting into?

What water parameters do I need?

What size tank?

What stocking?

What type of decor do I need?

What types of Filtration?

The Lake itself is situated in the Albertine Rift, in the western section of the East African Rift. The lake is fully surrounded by mountainous walls and valleys,
    with numerous mountain fed streams and rivers. The largest of the inflowing rivers is the Ruzizi River, filling from the northern end, from Lake Kivu. Next is the Malagarasi River flowing into Tanganyika from Tanzania.

Lake Tanganyika is largest of the rift lake in the African continent, length of 676kms/420mi. Also it is the deepest lake in Africa, at 1,470m/4820ft, with an average width of 50kms/31mi.

The lake averages a temperature of around 25’c/77f, with an average alkaline pH of 8.4. Due to the size of this lake, to obtain a proper average reading of pH KH & GH is not easy said than done! To achieve proper readings would involve tons of multiple testing’s in each location to get all the inherent variances that can be had from such a sheer large lake. These variances can be anything from the depth of the test, to season changes, flow rates from streams and rivers, also the exact locations the tests are taken. The more optimal ranges that Tanganyika cichlid keepers have found to be most successful is GH 12-20 and a KH 10-15, which is based of various readings found in the lake it self. Due to the nature of Tanganyika having high alkalinity, high mineralization, and its import to note that these fish require these water parameters to be matched within the enclosed environment of their aquarium habitat.

Due to the size and high stability of the lake system, the fish are best suited to ultra clean water. Keeping the water in pristine condition for these cichlids is a must; Nitrates lower than 20ppm, with 0.0pmm of ammonia.

The Rock Reef Habitats found in Tanganyika make for some stunning aqua scaping possibilities. One of the joys for a modern Aquarist is the invention of the best tool to mankind, YouTube! A quick search on Tanganyika Bio Tope, soon comes up with many videos of the lake and its history, along with footage of the under water rock reefs, sponges and many cichlid species, in their natural habitat.
    The second tool is wonderful Google. A quick search comes up with tons of information regarding Tanganyika cichlid care, to tank preparation.
    Like anything in the Aquatic hobby, research saves time money and stress and pain on your prize fish. So what is a couple of hours in research?

After watching, and reading, thoughts of the stocking, and also the aqua scape will start to form very fast. This leads on to the process of choose a tank.
    The ideal tank is always longer, with some depth to the tank. Like anything in the aquarium world, get the biggest you can afford. IE better to wait and save up for a 100g aquarium. Footprint is the key for most of the Tanganyika cichlids. Territories are measured in square feet, for various species it’s crucial for this large amount of space.

The actual process is a little trickier than a standard community aquarium. This is mainly due to individual territorial requirements of various species. Things like the habitat requirements of each individual species of Tanganyikan Cichlids. Adding to the list of things to think about! Provided you have thought out a selection of cichlids that you like from Tanganyika, now is the time to research the individual species compatibility with each other. This is one area where research is key. The more understanding of compatibility, the higher success rate you will experience,

With this research comes the aqua scaping planning. Some species love a sandy section with lots of shells for Shelter like the Lamprologus Ocellatus. While other types prefer rocking shelves ledges and caves like the Julidocromis species.
    It’s also important to note in the rockwork, the more you have the better. Making rocky bays and sight barriers is very important. Just a couple of rocks and shells just does not cut the mustard! It also really leads to insecure fish.

With the amounts of rockwork in the aquarium, also leads to thoughts of protection for the glass for of the Aquarium. There are many types of plastic egg crating that a lot of Marine aquarist’s use for protecting there glass floors. This is cheap, easy, and safe for stopping possible rock falls, when some of the cichlids start digging around in the substrate for spawning, and territorial markings. Though depending this is something, which should be taken note of. NOTE most of the time the digging can be resolved depending on the species by adding extra rockwork cave shells or adjustments to suit your cichlids. Also using some aquarium safe silicone to bind rocks together helps in this process.

The last few stages for contemplating on. The stand for your tank, and your house floor. Will it take to weight of the tank, plus the extra weight from the rockwork?
    These are some of the key things to keep in mind when selecting these species.
    Now its not all doom and gloom, some species of Tanganyika cichlids do not require massive Aquariums, which you will find in your research, already two have them have been mentioned further up in the primer.

Once your ideas have been formed, then the last step it to sort out the filtration system for your Tanganyika aquarium. Over filtration is a must. Any build up in detritus is not wanted in your set up. This leads to lower quality water parameters, leading to stress on the fish. So choose canister, HOBs, sump system that will give higher flow rate for your aquarium size. Some times even doubling up of filtration is better than a single set up. Another key item for Rift lake tanks is to have a small power head or two to keep constant flow in the aquarium to remove dead spots in the water flow.

In conclusion the basic’s of keeping these fish is,
    1. Research
    2. Matching their Habitats, and water parameter requirements.
    3. Appropriate size aquarium to match your selection.
    4. Over filter your system.
    Last edited by mac; 03-13-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Very nice write-up, lots of good info on these fish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    I had to go look them up, what a variety and the possibilities are amazing. Their beauty is amazing too! I am not a fan of cichlids (dunno why) but I would consider a Tanganyika tank in the future with some Lamprologines (rock/shell dwellers) and Cyprichromis (open water cichlids), maybe even some Tropheus (rock dwelling algae eaters) if I could get a good algae population and Xenotilapia (sand dwellers) if I had a big enough tank and didn't put in shellies but stuck to rock dwelling Lamprologines.

Man there are too many fish. Need to see if my local public aquarium (Shedd) has these on display, probably do but now I know what to look for..and have to find time to go to it. Its been too long.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC. - Slaphppy7   A cory to get you started! - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   Another cory never hurt! :P - AmazonJoe   Yet another pleco to deal with, lol - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Great write up!

In terms of proofreading, I didn't see any errors that would confuse the reader. A couple of minor errors did catch my eye:

In the section on aquascaping. There is a sentence that should read, "Just a couple of rocks or shells just does not cut the mustard!"
    In the conclusion, item 2. should be, "Matching their habitats and water parameter requirements." (Sorry, I have a hangup about incorrect use of there, their, and they're.)

I think this will be really helpful to folks considering starting a Tanganyika tank.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Typos corrected.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I had to go look them up, what a variety and the possibilities are amazing. Their beauty is amazing too! I am not a fan of cichlids (dunno why) but I would consider a Tanganyika tank in the future with some Lamprologines (rock/shell dwellers) and Cyprichromis (open water cichlids), maybe even some Tropheus (rock dwelling algae eaters) if I could get a good algae population and Xenotilapia (sand dwellers) if I had a big enough tank and didn't put in shellies but stuck to rock dwelling Lamprologines.

Man there are too many fish. Need to see if my local public aquarium (Shedd) has these on display, probably do but now I know what to look for..and have to find time to go to it. Its been too long.
    These fish are so rewarding to try. If you can and have the space a 30g with Julies and a shelly colony would look very nice.
    IME these fish are so much more easier to understand than the malawi group. Less aggression, stocking issues.

Only down side is not all of them are as colourful as the malawi. But kept in the same environment as you will see on youtube, then they stand out really well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Funny you mention about the coloring...I love their coloring more subtle but with pops of wow here and there.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Best part is the first lot of tangs Neolamprologus Leleupiare finally in my 100g.
    Last edited by mac; 03-13-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice write up my friend.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons: